Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
U1000
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope the pic's have attached, just purchased a winter project!!! My question is what would be the most suitable hitch for this trailer drawbar? I will eventually be pulling the trailer with my U1000 Ag spec. Will I need to modify my top 3pt linkage bracket? I've searched the archive and the Rockinger 279F looks like a suitable candidate, but is the trailer drawbar ringhitch too large for this. Would I be better off with a nato/pintle type if so which one would be compatible with my ag 3pt linkage? Thanks in advance.

07-12-10 unimog trailer 001.jpg

07-12-10 unimog trailer 002.jpg

07-12-10 unimog trailer 003.jpg

07-12-10 unimog trailer 007.jpg

07-12-10 unimog trailer 006.jpg

·
Registered
1983 U1200 (parted out), 1979 U1700L
891 Posts
I have the large hitch (can get you some pics tonight) off the back of my 1200 for sale if you are interested. Might be easier to mount a Mog hitch and change the ring on the trailer than mount a non standard hitch on the truck.

·
Registered
1990 Unimog 1300L, 2004 ML350, 1999 SLK 230,
579 Posts
The Rockinger 279F hitch is designed for a drawbar eye with 40mm hole diameter and 30.5mm eye thickness. Yours looks to be about 60mm hole diameter and 40mm thickness. I don't think that will work.
A Nato hitch is designed for a drawbar eye with 74mm diameter. I'm not sure about the thickness. I can't get to my mog right now to measure.

Here is some info on different hitches available. Perhaps you'll find a suitable one for your application:

http://www.jost-world.com/workflow/pdfanleitungen/kataloge/RO_AF_ZDE199079_D_E_0210.pdf

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just went through this with some trailers I have, all with US rings. I had to clearance the sides of the alignment "funnel" part of the hitch to allow the larger OD US ring to fit and make a spacer ring to take up the difference in ring ID and pin OD. Removing and replacing the Rockinger is probably what I should do as it's dimensions don't make any sense here in the US, but that's more work than I have time for at present. Plenty of surplus military hitches of several sizes to use when that happens, 2 1/2 and 5 ton both rotate and would be suitable for off road use, I have them on some of my other trucks.

·
Registered
U1000
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys, I think I need the nato type hitch or change my trailer eye/hitch!!!!... From what I've seen the nato hitchs appear to be rated differently, light, medium etc. Is there a heavy duty nato hitch? Most for sale are the 5 ton models, which were fitted to landrover's, was there a heavier duty hitch fitted to Bedford MK wagons, perhaps? Does anyone have a heavier duty nato hitch for sale, preferably in the uk as postage may be expensive.

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
Buy a weld on swivel eye of the size you need for your hitch on the vehicle.

You may find if you remove the eye from its bearing block it may be compatible with other manufactures bearing blocks, though if your towing hitch is capable of swivelling then your trailer towing eye should be ridged or like NATO hitches the hitch should be capable of being locked from rotating if cuppled to an eye that can also rotate.

Being a ~60mm eye it will be incompatible with a 76mm NATO or 67mm Swedish flat eye, or 40mm or 50mm DIN, so putting even a flange mounted eye on may be better.

·
Registered
U1000
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi b101uk, I was hoping you would reply to my posting! My biggest problem is I only have the the pick-up hitch on my 3pt linkage. The unimog trailer drawbar is too high for this, so I presume I need to decide on the appropriate hitch to mount on my rear cross member. The ideal place appears to be exactly where my top link ataches. Do you think the solution would be to change the eye on the trailer and go for the rockinger 279F? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
The ideal solution would be a 279F and the correct bracket for the back of your mog (which may be already be on your mog serving as the top-link/PTO mount) then having the corresponding eye put on the trailer at the correct height

was that once a turntable trailer with the lead axel moved back to the centre hence quite a large axel spread and odd placing of the axels?

·
Registered
U1000
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent...good idea, I presume this is the correct bracket, just need to find a rockinger 279F... any surplus out there??? Not sure of the origins of the trailer, I see what you mean about the axle position, no evidence of any axle movement. It's certainly well built, are the rails on the side boards a clue to it's former life, they pull out when not required. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1000
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hopefully there's two out there!! Let me know if you can find it, I'm definately interested, many thanks.

·
Registered
U1000
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will they both fit on my top link bracket? If so I'll take either and I'm sure normalbloke would be delighted with the other!!

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
I "had" been looking for one! I managed to get one on fleabay for the right price last month. I collected it, and was described as rusty, needing a drop of oil. Got it home, and any rust was superficial, and it all works as it should.

·
Registered
U1000
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi b101uk, the 279F is the one for me. How do we go about doing some kind of deal? Is there some kind of benzworld etiquette regards the sale of used items? I've got ebay and paypal accounts if that helps.

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
B101, I'm being lazy now, what size diam and length are those pins?
I have 1" diam holes and 170mm to the outside of the bracket, so 200mm long would be plenty?

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
I will find it first and take some pics, its around my garage some ware fixed to a Heath Robertson :D low mounting contraption for my PUH which was made for a specific towing job.

Just be aware the 2 pins needed are metric and not imperial agricultural ones, so you will either have to have some made, buy some from Rockinger (£?), or from Merc (£60 each! :eek:), though you may find some of the metric pins used on the tractor end UJ type top links may fit, but its finding them long enough.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts