Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 02 ML500. It's got projector lights, but they're halogen. What's the best way to upgrade to HIDs? I know HID kits could be had these days for only about $100.

How bad is the install? Is it "plug-n-play"... or does it take a little work?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
I've got an 02 ML500. It's got projector lights, but they're halogen. What's the best way to upgrade to HIDs? I know HID kits could be had these days for only about $100.

From what I have read, MTEC is the best HID kit you can get for our ML's.
It is supposedly suppose to be plug and play. All you should have to do is install the new bulbs and mount the ballasts.

On ebay the kits go for about $350-$400. There is one seller I always see that seems legit, and displays how to tell a fake kit from a real MTEC kit.

If you go for a kit that is under $200 you are likely just wasting your money because problems will probably occur within months and installation may not be as simple.

Do a search on the forum for "MTEC"

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,598 Posts
To be honest, none of these aftermarket units are truly legal because tests (do a Google search) have shown that they don't meet the legal lighting requirements for road going vehicles. That said, I have no idea which is best for the ML since mine has OEM BiXenons. But, I did install one of these aftermarket units on my 1996 300ZX TT and I like it. If you want to see where you're going, keep the temp to 4300K. Anything higher is really just for looks! There are several outlets that sell these units and they are inexpensive enough to take a chance. The ML's engine bay has a lot of room to install the ballasts. Go for it!
'

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
I used to think they were, but I'm not too sure now. It appears that if you make any modifications to the light source in a headlight housing (ie using xenon instead of halogen), that's where it seems things get a little sketchy. If indeed it is illegal, I highly doubt you'd be pulled over for something like that or that anyone with citing authority would even notice or care if it looks like stock.

Being that I had looked into them, I was trying to decide between K1 and MTEC.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,598 Posts
I used to think they were, but I'm not too sure now. It appears that if you make any modifications to the light source in a headlight housing (ie using xenon instead of halogen), that's where it seems things get a little sketchy. If indeed it is illegal, I highly doubt you'd be pulled over for something like that or that anyone with citing authority would even notice or care if it looks like stock.

Being that I had looked into them, I was trying to decide between K1 and MTEC.
Of course you won't get stopped unless the darn thing is so poorly aimed that it's obvious a bad mod has been done. Where you get nailed is when you go for state inspection. The headlights will fail Usually all one does is switch back to halogens for inspection and then switch back after inspection. NHSTA has done the studies and concluded that these units don't pass based on specs on the books today, not even the high end ones from Phillips! You'll never pass inspection with the current Xenon retrofits on the market. Like I said, I have them on my Z, they look good and better than the OEM halogen projectors. But, I will never pass inspection with these units on.

·
Registered
W204 & W211
2,717 Posts
i have 2 hid kits i bought from k1 motorsport and both run great...
cheaper than mtec and just a reliable...
cheap ones will throw error codes and more especially on MLs....

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have 2 hid kits i bought from k1 motorsport and both run great...
cheaper than mtec and just a reliable...
cheap ones will throw error codes and more especially on MLs....
Do you have the the slim kit or standard?

Also, where is everyone mounting their ballasts?

·
Registered
46 Posts

Hi,

My local performance shop recommended and installed a McCulloch HID Kit for my ML. I've had no problems at all. Here's the link to the website.

XenonKing.com - #1 Source of HID Kits & Bulbs

·
Registered
02 ML 320
454 Posts
i have std kit for my low-beam and slim kit for my fogs...

MJ50, can I see some pictures of the HID setup you ahve for your ML. How long have you had them? It seems like a real good deal considering the price of Bi-xenon lights.

Do you also have pics in the engine bay where the kit was added at?

Thanks!

Btw, what temp did you get and how well does it increase night driving?

·
Registered
W204 & W211
2,717 Posts
i'll u/l pics when i get home...
i've had hid kit on low beam for about 2+ yrs and hid fogs for 1+ year...
both got 6k kits and they are very bright...
i have poor vision and helps me a lot at nite...

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So which Mtec kit does everyone have?

On eBay I see the standard kit sell for $295 shipped, while the "D1 type" kit sells for $335 shipped. Will the standard kit work? Other than the obvious slimmer ballasts, what's the difference between the two?

·
Registered
90 300E
278 Posts
i have an hid kit in new york that i purchased for 140 and there is nothing wrong with the output and they dont throw any codes and they project just great. i have 6000k for my head lights and when i had my 98 headlights i had 3000k for the fogs.

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
i have an hid kit in new york that i purchased for 140 and there is nothing wrong with the output and they dont throw any codes and they project just great. i have 6000k for my head lights and when i had my 98 headlights i had 3000k for the fogs.
let me guess, bestdubs?

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes ML 350
62 Posts
I have mtech hid kit in car. I love them on highways...
The mtec kit does not throw any errors.

I bought from ebay for $320 and installation i paid $100.
They are really great...

·
Registered
2002 ML 320, 2004 Audi Avant A4
212 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts