Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 300D-T
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a real problem with availability here for oil filters other than fram etc, and would rather not have to rely solely on mail order. Can anyone direct me to any kind of a rating site for filters. Some boards say only use Hengst, Mann etc but my only source locally even for Bosch charges over list for the filter to fit my 83 300d.( And I found out that boschusa filters are made by champion) Are there any others that are good to use (purolator etc)? I am looking at changing over to Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40. Anyone have any experience with this oil yet? Thanks Steve

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
I personally have had no problems with mail ordering Mann oil filters. I buy several a tim...

I personally have had no problems with mail ordering Mann oil filters. I buy several a time and when I'm getting down to the last one, I order some more. I get Mann filters with shipping figured in the price cheaper than what the parts chain stores charge for their Fram filters. Do a web search and you will find many vendors out there that sell filters for MB cars.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I would go to the list sponser, then just stock up
on filters; the two fuel, the power st...

I would go to the list sponser, then just stock up
on filters; the two fuel, the power steering, the air,
trans etc.

Your taking your motor's life into your hands with fram, purolator etc. Have picked pieces of cheap filters out of oil channels from low grade filters
on project cars. Hengst is a favorite, Mann is good
too. In my view they are the only options. You will
see when you compare them side by side with Fram etc.
John Gregg

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
Oil Filters

It's best to stick with Hengst, Knecht, and Mann. They are all OEM and as such, seem equal in the eyes of the manufacturer. I've seen the results of inferior filters (Bosch in this case) shredding, and believe me -- it ain't pretty. A cheap oil filter can literally cost you your engine.

Ron
http://germanstar.net

·
Registered
83 300D-T
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for all the input, guess I'll just order several and go from there. Ste...

Thanks so much for all the input, guess I'll just order several and go from there. Steve

·
Registered
86 300SDL
5 Posts
Rotella T Synthetic 5w40

To answer the 2nd part of your question, I have used rotella T 5w 40 synthetic in my 86 Sdl and my 83 300td I have had no problems.
Oil consumption was higher then normal when I first started useing it, then it got back to normal after 1st oil change.
also fuel milage is alittle higher with the synthetic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.