Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for putting me more at ease
Just hear lots of internet horror stories
What about wiring harness problems?
Trying to be objective is really hard when emotions are running high!!
Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thank you for putting me more at ease
Just hear lots of internet horror stories
What about wiring harness problems?
Trying to be objective is really hard when emotions are running high!!
Thanks

Chuck
I didn't mention Mercedes infinitely-dumb bio-degradable wiring harness b/c, by now, you'd think that it was replaced . . since the wires would be toast by now. But you should indeed check to be sure . . .

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Been on a G wagon hype for a couple years... but My love will always be the 99’ 500s. BLK/BLK. Will have to rekindle the love affair once more (soon)... perhaps a m120 this time...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I may need to pick your brain a bit more in next few days

I got lemon report today but wire harness of course was not inspected

I dont think it has been replaced yet!

Thanks for all the help !!!!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I may need to pick your brain a bit more in next few days

I got lemon report today but wire harness of course was not inspected

I dont think it has been replaced yet!

Thanks for all the help !!!!

The earlier cars are better in many regards but the bio wires should be a major red flag. Not to mention other little odds and ends i.e reverse rods... distributor cap... body Moulding... no HID headlights... no OBD2... to mention a few. If you can get it for cheap (and I mean really cheap), do it. Otherwise, in good conscience I would tell you to walk away... 50k miles or not. 96’+ is the sweet spot...

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Don’t walk... RUN!!! For $15K, you could buy 3-5 w124 coupes or a really really nice C140. I guess that’s the difference. Lolll.

I’m a W140/C140 fanboy and fanatic. I’ve had five in total, including a 93’ and still have a 97’ w140 in the fleet. No OBD2 is a deal breaker for me, period, full stop.

$15k for a 9 hahahahaha that was very funny.

You should be able to find a beautiful late model low mile coupe for that much. With proper maintenance, That car runs for ever (252k on the 97’ and still purring). Keep searching and good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don’t walk... RUN!!! For $15K, you could buy 3-5 w124 coupes or a really really nice C140. I guess that’s the difference. Lolll.

I’m a W140/C140 fanboy and fanatic. I’ve had five in total, including a 93’ and still have a 97’ w140 in the fleet. No OBD2 is a deal breaker for me, period, full stop.

$15k for a 9 hahahahaha that was very funny.

You should be able to find a beautiful late model low mile coupe for that much. With proper maintenance, That car runs for ever (252k on the 97’ and still purring). Keep searching and good luck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just as any given man doesn't like the same woman you like, it's the same with MB coupes! '95 and on have switchable traction control so your car MUST be smog-tested on the treadmill, not so with '94 and '93. Makes a big difference for passing CA smog tests.

'96 started the digital transmission which has been known to give problems. Also the "NOT-READY" flag has prevented many from passing smog testing and the fix, entails removing the heads for a passage cleaning.

Personally, the '94's OBD1 system is not a problem but OBD2 code readers are much easier to obtain.

Engine Wiring Harness: An easy place to check is where the wires feed into the B10/8 sensor . . it's easy to see those wires to determine if the wiring is 'good'. The sensor is shown in MENU#18 on my page . . . about halfway down the page.

For $15K, I agree that you look for a better buy.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Just as any given man doesn't like the same woman you like, it's the same with MB coupes! '95 and on have switchable traction control so your car MUST be smog-tested on the treadmill, not so with '94 and '93. Makes a big difference for passing CA smog tests.

'96 started the digital transmission which has been known to give problems. Also the "NOT-READY" flag has prevented many from passing smog testing and the fix, entails removing the heads for a passage cleaning.

Personally, the '94's OBD1 system is not a problem but OBD2 code readers are much easier to obtain.

Engine Wiring Harness: An easy place to check is where the wires feed into the B10/8 sensor . . it's easy to see those wires to determine if the wiring is 'good'. The sensor is shown in MENU#18 on my page . . . about halfway down the page.

For $15K, I agree that you look for a better buy.

I’m in the Bay Area. My 97’ w140 has never seen a treadmill nor the two 99’s c140s I had. All obd2... I’ve had the timing chain jump on a 99’ m119 coupe (at 190k) and destroy the engine. I’ve never had to remove the heads nor the transmissions... albeit I’ve had to replace the plastic oilers with metal ones from the older engines. I’ve also had numerous leaking valve cover gaskets... every few years. I’ve had to change the transmission pin connector a couple times due to leaks... and I’ve sourced a metal T heater connector from a pre face lift model after mine exploded on a couple cars. Vacuum lines atop the engine become brittle or gooey... door vacuum pumps have gone out a few times... radiator burst once... duo valve issues... other than that, nothing.. all these things are par for the course on any w140. I’ve done absolutely nothing else save for oil, pads etc... over a decade of ownership...

W124... I’ve had a few sedans. The best one was a e420... actually it was bulletproof. Always wanted a E500 but hasn’t happened yet. I can go on for days about the issue with those cars... especially the rear diffs. Rear window delaminating, distributor cap issues galore, bio wiring, gaskets... etc.

But as JimF said, to each their own...

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I have a '97 CL600 and thought the "wiring harness problem" was not a problem. I had just come back from a 3200 mile trip and we had an opportunity to lift the wiring harness to see something under it. The engine STOPPED immediately. After my heart got back to normal we started looking and found that yes it was a new harness BUT they still used the old coaxial cables (6) and one of these had the outer covering disintegrated. Simple, we will just replace the coax. Hah! Could not find a replacement anywhere even with my son's help. (Audio engineer). Bit the bullet and bought a new harness through The Classic Car Center in Irvine. It had a one year guarantee. But this is STILL the finest car I have ever owned!
Anziani

·
Registered
315 Posts
How much is 1993 really worth good condition??
Certainly not $15K . . . try using Kelly Blue Book ["www.kbb.com"] to get you a 'ballpark' price.

For a '93 500SEC with 55K miles, KBB states the price is apx $6K in "Excellent Condition" But so is a '96 CL500 . . You will pay abit more from a dealer that offers it a certified if one can be found.

There's one [black on black] for sale in Marina Del Ray w/ 95K miles for for $4K.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Certainly not $15K . . . try using Kelly Blue Book ["www.kbb.com"] to get you a 'ballpark' price.

For a '93 500SEC with 55K miles, KBB states the price is apx $6K in "Excellent Condition" But so is a '96 CL500 . . You will pay abit more from a dealer that offers it a certified if one can be found.

There's one [black on black] for sale in Marina Del Ray w/ 95K miles for for $4K.
If I was a dealer I would start at around 15000 too

Nothing to lose and someone might just bite

He knows he won't get 15000 but to ask 6000 makes it seem like car somehow less pristine... which we know it is!!

I will see how he handles wiring harness issue and a few other issues
Also how helpful he is with service records from mb

It is kind off fun now seeing how much this guy is willing to cave... or not

Thanks for all your help again!!!!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts