Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even after owning and loving 4 different 300CEs, I still can't get rid of the itch for another Mercedes Coupe. Although I think the lines of the W124 coupe are better looking, I would love your opinion about how it compares to a W140 Coupe. I've never driven one. I can only imagine that the double pained glass and comfort are out of this world.

Overall- Performance, reliability, looks, maintained etc; Which one would you want and why? Let's assume they would both have beautiful wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I agree about the looks.
Although the Refinement of the W140 is hard to match.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm not much help as I've never driven a W126, but the only work I can think of for the W140 coupe is superb. Granted I bought a nice example and have brought it back to excellent condition, but it's the best mix of performance and smooth, quiet luxury I've ever experienced.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
While my 98 coupe is having the front wishbones replaced I borrowed a 210 320,,, it was horrible, the 140 is just so smooth and quiet

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
A 124 without ASR because it doesn't have ASR and all 140s do. ASR is the scourge of western civilization and I believe this to be an understatement. Seriously I don't see any car with ASR ever being worth anything as a collector car.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
A 124 without ASR because it doesn't have ASR and all 140s do. ASR is the scourge of western civilization and I believe this to be an understatement. Seriously I don't see any car with ASR ever being worth anything as a collector car.
My intuiton says there is a line of thinking that supports this...

so forgive me here, but I think the W140 coupe is almost the perfect car, save the steering and protection systems in the handling. Is the latter what you meant, Deanyel ?

I'd love to get a late model C140 and take off all the steering aids and put on a Ferrari 348 steering (or 456)

To answer you OP, a W124 may well be more of a driver's coupe, the W140 however is the ultimate continent swallowing car... AND I have driven one that was tightened up similar to the way I suggest above (although not as wet dream as my plan...!) and THAT C140 was unbelievable.

SO my point is the 140 can take you places no other automobile can reach. But it is more of a love affair type of car - kind of like an e type Jaguar, so... you better love it. Unless you need the silence for special reasons, you may prefer the simpler W124...

·
6,543 Posts
Why just pick on ASR, why not ESP ???? I do not think that we see our 140's as collectors cars. ASR is a means of keeping the car on the road, sure with the wrong cheap tyres like I had when I bought the car it kicked in on every corner, with good tyres you have a job to bring it into play.

Sure the 124 was a good car in its time, and I could never fault the 300TE that I had back in 1990, but things move on.

Re the way the 140 drives, it is an amazing experience to drive one.
The suspension is very nearly as good as my 230 SL500, it is quieter and the steering is first class.

The 124,s are under geared by a long way, so you can drive a 140 with better economy than a 124

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

124 is great in wagon form though.

both are cheap enough to where you can have both, assuming you can wrench on them like mad

·
6,543 Posts
+ 1 - it personifies civilization, doesn't it?
Sadly only the ones in the car know how civilized and refined they are.

You would never know they were so good from the outside

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd say get the one you can afford to support, because I'd take a tip-top W124 over a worn-out w140 any day.

I'd take my (now quite extensively overhauled) 500 coupe over a 300 CE any day, but I'd rather pay for the same jobs on a W124!

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
ah, but a worn out 140 can be "sober in the morning", but a W124 will "still be ugly".

Thanks Winston.

Look at it this way, it took me two years to find my W140 (I wanted a 99 coupe in gold, with no major mechanical issues on the 5 really bad items) and now 2 months have passed as we leisurely work our way through the minor repairs.

But the intention is to get it right so that it will last me 20 years, and nothing else comes close, really... except the odd Italian...

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Sadly only the ones in the car know how civilized and refined they are.

You would never know they were so good from the outside
i disagree. if properly kept they have quite the presence. it also helps to get rid of the 16" grandma wheels and SUV like wheelgap

1 - 20 of 56 Posts