Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,193 Posts
Mann

Mann Filters - both indie shops I deal with use them and the Euro-parts store recommends them. No scientific reason.

·
Registered
1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
995 Posts
Mann makes the CORRECT filters for these cars. Some cheaper filters lack the proper filtration circuit for these cars and will allow the car to run with improper oil circulation when first started - a very BAD idea. If you have an improper filter installed, you may have a lower oil pressure reading on your gauge, and should swap in a proper filter ASAP.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Mann, Hengst and Knecht/Mahle are all appropriate depending on application. The Mahle filter is OE for the 103, for example.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
all the filters listed are OE according to Mercedes. Originally it was all Knecht but a fire in their production facility many many years ago led MB to go to the other manufactures for filters. As long as you stay away from the generic, Mcparts filters you'll be good.

Jonathan

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,885 Posts
jdc1244 said:
Mann, Hengst and Knecht/Mahle are all appropriate depending on application. The Mahle filter is OE for the 103, for example.
Not in the same country but:
I used only MB supplied filter at first until I saw that South African brand GUD was manufacturer of the MB supplied filter (identical product just withoud tri-star). Same thing for air filter.
Eventualy, I learned that MB supplied airfilter and spareparts shop supplied oil filter is the cheapest option. Both of them come from same factory and a MB mechanic confirmed my thought.

Mann was manufacturer of filter casing

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
Fram used to be the best in the 80's unil Walmart. Walmart made them sell them to them at such a low price, Fram had to rework their design to stay in the green. Now Fram sucks sadly. I use Mann now.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
Oh.. I haven't forgot about you. Just been really busy. I'll get ya what you needed from me. very soon.

·
Premium Member
1987 560SEC, 1987 UNIMOG U1700L
326 Posts
When I went looking for an air filter went to Repco (Auto Parts Dudes) got a price of $115 for a RYCO brand one then got a price of $109 from Mercedes for a genuine one!!!! I was quite surprised with that to see the Genuine cheaper than the non genuine (and there was a bit of a wait for the non genuine as they had to order it in specially) Oil filter i got at the dealer for around $18 (didn't even bother asking Repco) I remember asking for a V12 Jaguar oil filter from them once was like $60 (RYCO non genuine) genuine one with the cat on the side (looks pretty) was around the $20 mark.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
126 Posts
I probably should not tell anyone this... but a perk for working at the dealer, I just changed my oil for 6 bucks. MB filter and 8.5 qts of oil. Price was just the filter!

·
Premium Member
1987 560SEC, 1987 UNIMOG U1700L
326 Posts
El Toro said:
I probably should not tell anyone this... but a perk for working at the dealer, I just changed my oil for 6 bucks. MB filter and 8.5 qts of oil. Price was just the filter!
Yeah when I worked at a dealer I used to get free oil, as long as you ask them beforehand and it's for your own car it's ok. Strangely enough the dealer had Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 and at the shops they only have Magnatec 10w-40. Must be a special blend they sell in bulk to dealers only!!!! And I just remembered another reason I use the genuine filters is because they come with the correct washers and O-Rings (non genuine stuff seems to forget those little details sometimes)

·
Registered
'85 300TD wagon
22 Posts
I just got 3 filters from eBay for my 300SD. They were advertised as Mann filters, but when I got them they were Mahle. They cost $30 total for 3 including shipping and came with the gasket and brass washer. It sounds like I shouldn't be too concerned with the Mahle filters. I am using Amsoil 15w-40 synthetic marine diesel oil. Apparently rated at 15,000 miles or longer. Anyone tried going this long between oil changes? They offer oil analysis for $25...

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
for such an inexpensive part, why not just buy the dealer oil filter kit and call it a day? what are they, like $20-$30 for the filter and all the gaskets? no brainer..

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic, 2018 Ford Expedition Max, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S, 2016 BMW 750i
506 Posts
Mann and Mahle

Names are both on a filter I have. NUR-SPEC is right, just get the best filter available, the MB brand. It is a small price for your baby.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts