Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Ml 430 Sport
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends..

I was wondering, in regards to reliability which used Mercedes Benz Model is best? From the 2000' model year and newer, which model is most reliable? Kompressor? E-Class? C?

Just food for thought...

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Benz_Boi said:
Hello friends..

I was wondering, in regards to reliability which used Mercedes Benz Model is best? From the 2000' model year and newer, which model is most reliable? Kompressor? E-Class? C?

Just food for thought...
as far as i read, the older models (mid 80s). they were built with lesser electronics and plastic than today and are literally tanks. however, with all my love to 80s i can't imagine driving that old vehicle daily.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Kind of a hit and miss from those years. If brand new is available, right now, they're all looking like they're heading in the right correction. In short, brand new is pretty reliable.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
1985 500 SEL. I drove mine to almost 300,000 miles. I bought it with about 140,000 miles on it.
The only things I ever had to do to it were
#1 fuel pump
#2 valve seals

Tuned it up 2 times and just drove the shit out of it...

I still see it every day because I sold it to a guy here at work about a year ago, still runs perfect...

The best car I ever had, and I've had over 200 cars...

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320
33 Posts
Past about 95 the only reliable MB's were the C-class and S-class. When they changed the body style of the C-class in 2000 that was it for reliable MB's. You can thank Jurgen Schrempp for trying to make MB everything to everyone; I guess that's what happens when accountants run a car company. Now that Daimler-Benz dumped Chrysler, Dieter Zetsche should be able to focus on improving MB back to what it was. So the "new-new" MB's, namely the excellent new C-class, and the replacements for the models that are out right now, should be MUCH better.

Get a W126 chassis 300 SD, even with 350,000 miles on it, it will go for another 50,000 - 100,000 before MB recommends a rebuild. If you want a newer model get a W140 chassis S-class and enjoy the double-paned windows and self-closing doors!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd like to have this info, but so far too few Mercedes owners are signed up to paticipate in my research.

Most likely reliability is not as bad as people think. Forums like this one can make problems seem more common than they actually are.

Here's the page describing my research:

Vehicle reliability research

My latest results will be posted next week, but no Mercedes models among them.

·
Registered
2002 ML 320
174 Posts
My previous C220 1995 model was immensely reliable and gas miser to boot. I can travel from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and back on a single tank of gas. I regret selling it and buying a ML 320 which was trouble form the 1st month out of the dealer's showroom. My only consolation is MB extended my warranty to 100,000 miles or 8 years on my ML320 2002.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
ml3addict said:
the one thats most reliable is the one you maintain the best and not beat to shit
Half and half. I'm a believer that if you maintain the car and actually drive it all the time (not let it sit for a week at a time) it will keep on going.

·
Registered
05 ml 350 SE
372 Posts
true...but i think regardless on the ML especially the transmission is weak...maybe its just me and how i drive, but it was the same case with my 02 320 i had couple years back

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
ml3addict said:
the one thats most reliable is the one you maintain the best and not beat to shit
I completely dissagree with you on that one. I used to abuse my 1985 500 SEL. I used to spin out all the time I would speed up for speed bumps. I would slide sideways around corners. I would drive hella fast pedal to the medal all the time. If there was ever a car I beat the shit out of htat was the one... If I drove my ML like that it would be in the junk yard by now...

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
I just calculated how much I spend each month in gas, now that it's $3+ per gallon (Sorry, my UK brothers. I know that you'd kill for 0.39 pounds/liter, but we complain here!) and I had a funny thought. When I replaced my spark plugs last week, I should have left have of them out!!!

Maybe I'll tie off half of my fuel injection hoses until gas comes back down. :)

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
675 Posts
rudedude said:
I completely dissagree with you on that one. I used to abuse my 1985 500 SEL. I used to spin out all the time I would speed up for speed bumps. I would slide sideways around corners. I would drive hella fast pedal to the medal all the time. If there was ever a car I beat the shit out of htat was the one... If I drove my ML like that it would be in the junk yard by now...
Completely agree with that, I got a 67 220S when I was 19 and drove the crap out of it, never had money to do the smallest repairs and it never broke down on me..Now I maintain my ML like an expensive girlfriend and it's as bad...always drama and constantly in need of something...Haa

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
WolfWinter said:
Completely agree with that, I got a 67 220S when I was 19 and drove the crap out of it, never had money to do the smallest repairs and it never broke down on me..Now I maintain my ML like an expensive girlfriend and it's as bad...always drama and constantly in need of something...Haa
I know what you mean, I bought my 500 SEL with about 140000 miles on it, I sold it with almost 300000 miles. I got it for only $5000.00 years ago so it was cheap and I really didn't take care of it, oil changes only when it got black. Tune ups at about 200000 and 300000 miles. The funny thing is everything on the car worked even the A/C... And it was good on gas too, about 18mpg hwy @ 85 mph.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG
20 Posts
way back when I was in high school, I had a 1989 560 SL. I beat the whiz out of it, and nothing ever broke on it... well, except the one time I got it airborne and bottomed out when I landed, and broke all the rubber muffler hangers.. drove it to the dealership and they replaced them with ones with metal in them.. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts