Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm trying to wire an fm modulator. I see the antenna splitter in the trunk. Where do I tap into for fm antenna? What adapter do I buy? Please advise. I've got the isimple i32. The car is a 2005 s500. Also if someone can help me add my car info to my profile that'll be great.

·
W220 Moderator
1,129 Posts
STOP

Do not "tap" "splice" or otherwise connect/unconnect or "rewire" a thing. Some serious study is needed before you attempt to mess with ANY of the wirng/systems in these cars.

Start here ... https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1834026-w220-antenna-system-key-fob.html .... Notice that the " splitter " you wanted to "tap into" is actually used for GPS and NOT AM/FM Radio.

DO some research, Google is your friend, and be honest with yourself in assessing your technical abilities. If you decide to have a shop do the work, be very careful there also and select a shop with experience on Mercedes.

These cars are complicated beyond belief and one slip could cascade into totally bricking many many systems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I realized that. Hence the post. Have spent countless hours on Google, forums and PDFs. Nothing useful. Then I went ahead and bought an antenna adapter kit. OEM Mercedes that fits my car. Problem is the kit looks real, I know it will do exactly what I need done. Just dunno where to plug into. Have asked the seller, don't know if I'll get an answer. Waiting.
Here's the listing:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/391012730862

·
W220 Moderator
1,129 Posts
OK... Help me out just a bit... whats an " FM Modulator" and what are you trying to do with it ? the link to the pair of adaptors look to be for hooking a FAKRA connectored .... something... ( thats the connector on the right side of the link, 1 male, 1 female ) to something else with standard US style aerial connections ( on the left side, again 1 male and 1 female )

on a 2005 ( aka "facelift" w220 ) i THINK the AM/FM/WB antenna connections are not to the radio, but to an Audio Gateway Device located on the left side ( same side of the trunk as your CD magazine and NAV DVD reader ) of the trunk. the Audio Gateway actually does all the tuning and band switching. Data ( sound, tuning commands, etc ) are passed over Fiber Optic Ring to the COMAND head unit in the cab of the car.

I would think, that to tap into any sort of antenna input, it would have to be in the trunk, prior to the Audio Gateway. I cannot stress enough, that to put extemporaneous inputs into the system is fraught with peril that could punch a bus sized hole in your wallet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
😀 I'm happy to see someone's interested in this!
FM modulator is one of those devices that takes any RCA input and outputs an FM frequency so that your radio can now "tune" to your phone or whatever.
These are usually wireless and so the quality of sound is poor. A wired one takes the antenna input from the car antenna and outputs everything back into the radio minus the one interrupted frequency.
Pretty cool concept. Hope it works.
Here's a link. If this works like it does in EVERY other car radio. Then the aux input issue we have with our cars could be solved.
https://isimple.com/catalog/professional-installed-kits/IS31
Whatdya think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photo update. I have attached a photo. I finally figured out I'm looking at the wrong side of my AGW. The photo shows 2 antenna connections. One black other yellow. Any comments on which is in and which is out? Also do they pull out? Is there a tab to press?
Thanks

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,676 Posts
Hi,

I don't think it is a lack of interest, I just think that not many folks really understand these systems.

I have a reasonable to good understanding having done several Android Installs, but I am struggling to comprehend exactly what it is you are trying to fix / achieve :dunno:

If you have a problem with your Antennae, then fix it using MB Parts.

If you want to use your phone by a Bluetooth puck

If you want to play Music digitally, either install the "Aux In Kit" from Mercedes or fit an Android and use a TF Card in it.

If you want to install Android then use one of the proprietary adaptors that you have linked.

As @Ex-Fed said earlier Chinese Electronics seldom plays well with Mercedes F/O Audio equipment.

Still :dunno: :confused: but HTH,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Dave. I'm sorry that what I'm trying to do is so confusing. Let me try again.

This is a 2005 w220. So it has MOST and not d2b. It's got a command with no means of putting in an aux input. Now if I'm already wrong in this statement, Correct me and set me on the right track.

(Only option I've seen is: NAV-TV kit 0002 that's supposed to take away CD changer and provide the aux in. Looks complex and I've not seen a single post that shows it's worked.)

Using an FM modulator is the easiest way to get an aux input but the wireless devices are not good simply because of the heavy FM use in my area, San Francisco. There is a better fm modulator and that's the one that's hard wired into the radio. There's no splicing involved as I have adapters that convert the antenna in that goes into the AGW to regular and the antenna out that comes out of the modulator into the Mercedes pin that'll fit the AGW.

Technically if I connect this correctly I should interrupt nothing. If something stops working, I just undo what I did.

Dave since you've worked so much on these cars can you answer me this:

1. In the audio gateway where is the antenna input?

2. When that's disconnected what happens?

3. How does it disconnect (where is the tab)?

Thank you

·
W220 Moderator
5,676 Posts
Hi,

OK, I now understand what you are trying to achieve.

Yes, being a 2005 your Car is a Facelift model, and therefore has the most F/O system which sadly is not the one I am all that familiar with.

Yes there will be a catch on the plugs, don't just yank them out, have a good look and unlatch them.

It would appear from the below link that it is NOT the yellow plug, (Yellow is Navi Antenna) so you need to tap into the other one !!

Have you actually tried using the Forums Google Search Button ?

In under a minute I came up with this link, plus there are others, which I do believe tell you what you need to know ...................

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/2756641-intall-xtrons-head-unit-work-mb.html

HTH,

·
Registered
268 Posts
Black one is the one I used for my Android head unit install for FM. It should just be a easy latch to disconnect. I believe the Yellow one is GPS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done. I hope this is a good solution to those who are stuck with this specific problem.
Thanks to your input I was able to finish the antenna wiring and get quality audio auxillary input into the command unit.
Steps for creating an aux input into the 2005 and later w220 using a powered FM modulator are quite simple.
The only additional parts required are an antenna adapter kit. That's linked in this thread.
Remove the black antenna from the audio gateway and plugged the little box in and tuned my radio to the specified fm frequency.
From here I hope to run the aux cord into the cabin somewhere close to the ashtray in the center console.
For now I just plugged into the power for the audio gateway but I'm sure I can find a better power source.
I would like suggestions for the following:
1. Best source for power in that trunk area which will turn on with the key in.
2. Best route for the cord to run from trunk to near the gear shift.

I hope you guys have followed what I did. Should I do a write up if this?
Here are some photos.

Thanks to all for your consistent help.

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,676 Posts
Hi,

Glad you've sorted it, a pictorial write up would be good, I looked for similar in our Encyclopaedia and couldn't find it, so if you do a new thread I will put it in the Encyclopaedia for you :wink

For your power, if it is very low amps like under 1A it will probably be fine hooked into the Blue / Black Wake Up wire that goes to stuff like CD Changer, Amplifier etc ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK

Thanks Dave, Will write it up and post it as a new thread.
As for the electric, the blue black to CD changer will be my positive and I find ground elsewhere right or is it a BLUE for + and BLACK for -?
Any advise on how to route this cable to the cabin?
Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
I followed the battery power cable to the front. It takes you under the back seat (remove back seat), under the carpet of the passenger seat and up the side of the center console. I did the wiring for the Android head unit and it was kind of a pain to work around the passenger seat (I didn't see how to remove a steal cable that was attached to it so I just rocked it back and forth to get cables under it). I'm sure you might be able to go up the driver side as well.

·
W220 Moderator
5,676 Posts
Hi,

Blue wire with Black trace is the Wake Up + ve

Brown Wire colour is Earth (- ve)

I would remove the left Seat, Back Seat Squab and Sill trims, now "cable tie" to existing Wiring until out of the Trunk and into the Cabin at Back Seat Squab area.
Then remove front Carpet, remove Centre Console, lift up the rear Carpet and run it through the plastic cable trunking under the Carpets until it is up at Centre Console area where you need it :wink

That is the correct way to do it.

Some others will likely chime in here that they just stuff it / tuck it under the Carpets, that is NOT the correct way to do the job :wink
Mercedes put all their wiring in the Trunking, it protects it, do it right, do it once is my motto / advice ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts