Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96' W210 & 10' W212
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a used AMG either an 2003-2009 E55/63 or 2003 + SL55/63.
I've always loved these models and now they are starting to come down in price to where I can afford to buy one for a weekend car. I would probably look at the higher mileage ones as they are more within my price range.

I have a few questions.

1. Are these reliable cars that can be driven to say 200,000 miles?
2. Can these cars be maintained by the average DIYer?
3. Any issues that are common with these cars/engines?

One thing that concerns me is that these cars may have been raced or abused because of the high HP engines and the cost to maintain them won't be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Generally speaking.
Don't buy those high HP models that had the factory wheels replaced with larger wheels, the drivers tend to be the racer kind.
Feel the shift knob, racer got his hand permanently "glued" to it.
Quick test for high mileage car. Have someone start the engine while you're outside observing the exhaust. If some smoke comes out -> worn piston rings.
For 1,2,3 questions, post them in the AMG forum.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
... now they are starting to come down in price ...
This because of two factors:

1. These cars are "toys," and those who can afford such cars quickly tire of them. There's nothing as "obsolete" as yesterday's toy.

2. Cost of maintenance is ALWAYS reflected in price of used cars. If you can find one with really low miles, never driven hard, maintained by the book, it won't be cheap.

BTW, check what it costs to insure one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts