Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,<br> I just purchased an '87 190E auto with the cylinder head missing (It was repo'ed this way). How can I find out if it was a 16V model or not? I'm going to do a complete rebuild on the engine and I need to purchase the head, but don't know which one.<br> Thanks for the help!!

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
get the VIN # and take it to ur DMV, they should be able to pull up the records on ur car. does it have the recaro leather seats, 3 small VDO guages above the ash tray?<br> if so then it is a 16v.<br> <br> ryan <br> '87 2.3-16v

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely it's an 8-valve, because the 16-valve's are far less common, and it's an auto (most 16-valves are manual). Also, if it was a 16-valve, it would be pretty obvious unless it's a real mess with body parts missing, etc. etc.<br> <br> To be sure though, you could check the VIN. Other ways to tell would be: 16-valve's have a spoiler on the trunk lid and a full, all-around body kit; 16-valves are lower than 8-valves; 16-valves have bigger brakes; 16-valves have a hydropneumatic self-levelling rear suspension; 16-valves have headers; all US spec 16-valves came with black leather interior, automatic climate control, power front seats with driver's seat memory and rear buckets (only space for two legless people back there rather than three!), 16-valves will have a 160 mph speedo, 16-valves will have a sticker somewhere that states that they require premium fuel; 16-valves will have oil temp. guage, lap timer, and voltmeter at the bottom of the center console under the radio; all US 16-valves have ABS and a driver's air bag (I don't think the 8-valves had these yet in '87, but they may have); all US 16-valves have power windows.<br> <br> There's more, but that should be enough for you to determine what you've got.<br> <br> Bill Balmer<br> 1986 190E 2.3-16<br> first 16-valve in the US<br> featured in Car & Driver March, 1986

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the responses!! I had no idea there was that much difference in the 16V models. It doesn't sound like mine should be a 16V but the VIN # is below if anyone (Ron??) can help.<br> Thanks for the help!<br> Ryan<br> <br> VIN# WDBDA28D5HF36XXXX (no need to reveal unit #)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.