Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SE US SPEC
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my new Porter Cable DA Polisher and pad set on Cyber Monday and this weekend went to work! Seven hours of washing, followed by clay, followed by Meguiars 105 compound and 205 polisher on Saturday. Another 4 hours today laying down Meguiars Gold wax and vacuum with the MB cockpit cleaner. Lastly, a quick polish of the BBS lips. My arms are officially Jello but the car came through it OK.

It was almost fun......

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 SLK230-LE
375 Posts
Very nice. If only I could get mine to look as good as that.

It's almost a mirror image twin too, but with stock wheels and non-Euro license plate. If that's an amber driver's corner light and a yellow passenger corner light, I got the same thing, but on opposite sites. :D

Edit: Mine's a Gen 2 though...so much for close to mirror image twins. :p

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Looks really good. I have a porter cable as well and they do work wonders when you allow yourself the time to do a thorough detail job. Definitely will trun heads when you're rolling down the road.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,340 Posts
good job, did u clay first, thats important

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
1985 380SE US SPEC
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks all for the compliments. My back doesnt hurt, but my arms and hands still do!

I need to get some more pictures together, but I do have some residual from a pin stripe that I tried everything to take off - goo gone, goof off, nail polish, even a razor. It was just too old and it became one with the paint. Only way to fix is sand and repaint or put a new pin stripe to cover.

Taking suggestions on the pin stripe. I dont like them, but it beats painting. The original was two thin silver stripes. At least pin stripes are 80s. Red, white? Need to dig up some old MB posters online....

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 1987 300SEL
168 Posts
So how do you actually do this?

Can you link me to a tutorial or a video that shows how to polish and treat cars?

Because I want to do something like this, and can get the products but dont actually know how to DO it.

I'd be really greatful :p Still a noobie with cars.

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
Taking suggestions on the pin stripe. I dont like them, but it beats painting. The original was two thin silver stripes. At least pin stripes are 80s. Red, white? Need to dig up some old MB posters online....
I hate pin stripes too. My black 420 has a single tanish stripe and I am contemplating how to best get rid of it. Thinking I might have the clear redone and take care of it then. Depends on what kind of price I can get on that job.

If you have to keep it or get it retouched I would try to go with something subtle. Maybe a real dark silver/pewter color since you have a black interior. Red is kinda cliche on a black car imo, and white might look like a big scratch. A hard decision I know. Like I said pinstripes suck.

-Wolf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts