Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 70K now and I think it's time to change the "lifetime" fluid. Got a few questions:

Is this the tranny tube (red circle in pic) that is used to check the fluid level and also to pour in the new fluid? If it is, how do you take it off? I read something about breaking off a tab.

And any idea what is that black cap (yellow circle) that seems to be able to spin freely?

Also, the writeup in the MercedesShopWiki on the tranny fluid and filter change suggested turning the engine over to rotate the torque converter to get to the drain plug. I did not see anyone mentioning this procedure in this forum. Is it necessary?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
The red circled item is indeed to 'filler' for the AT fluid. There is no dipstick in there, you will either have to buy one, or do a search to find other ways to measure it. There should be a plastic tab, most of ones that I have seen are red, attached to the top of that filler cap. Yours is either not there, or black.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Your tab is black, flip it out and throw away. Not needed.
Dipstick you can purchase off ebay, tool stores or MB.
Even pix on here of how to make.
Black bung is gearbox breather.
Your box has no TQ drain. Just do the change including filter. A week later drain from pan and refill.

Bazzle

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
If you decide to do the job, the cap that you need to remove (red circle) can be replaced for about $3 at the dealer, not a big deal...:D
Changing the oil is not a bad idea.
There have been a few trannys that have gone bad, and if you do the job, having the oil analyzed will help you determine if there is any damage. The oil kits can be had online, and are not that expensive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys.

Tranny dipstick is already on the way (got them off eBay). I'll give Bazzle's method a shot. Might also try to get a sample analyzed just to satisfy my curiosity.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts