Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,m running new wiring to the rear speakers and installing a new power amp & I need to get the rear seatback out on my 88 300SEL so I can fish the wires thru. I can't see any bolts or releases to get it out. I'm stuck, can anyone help me out?:surrender:

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
On a 123, may be similar, you need to remove the seat bottom, that will reveal three bolts that hold the seat back in place.
Near the doors, there is a wire hook, don't know which way to release the seat bottom, then lift up, and pull toward.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I,m running new wiring to the rear speakers and installing a new power amp & I need to get the rear seatback out on my 88 300SEL so I can fish the wires thru. I can't see any bolts or releases to get it out. I'm stuck, can anyone help me out?:surrender:

First question - do you have reclining rear seats or not, because the setup is different (I have both).

On the non-reclining rear seats, there are two "tabs" on each side, about 1/4 way across under each side that you slide over and pop the seat bottom out. Then, there are 3 screws that you will see, two on the sides into the sidewall of the car, and one into the rear that you need to remove. Then you slide the seatback up and out.

On the reclining rear seats, there are two bolts/nuts that hold the seat bottom. Be careful not to lose the nuts when removing them. Then, there are 3 bolts that hold the seatback to the track, not the sidewall of the car. Remove these bolts, slide the seatback up and out.

The reclining rear seats are more of a pain to reinstall, been there, done that.

Good luck!

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
I asked this one a few weeks ago and no one could give me a correct answer.

First pull the seat bottom out. There are two releases, one on each side (by each door) where the leather meets the carpet. Once you have this out, there are 4 bolts holding the back in. 2 are located right around the seat belt anchors (center of seat) and the other two are at each end, where the seat back and bottom meet (towards the doors). Once you have these out, have a helper grab the drivers side and you grab the passenger side, and lift up on the seat back at the same time. You may have to pull really hard. Once it comes, then lift it up and out of the car being careful not to damage the headliner, rear speaker enclosures and the leather itself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, seat is out and speakers are wired. Sounds ok for stock speakers, but I'm gonna put in higher octane speakers tomorrow. :bowdown:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts