Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner manual said you should be able to read the engine number at the rear of the engine block near the bulkhead.

I have no luck, anyone can give me a pointer? A snapshot would be nice.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,099 Posts
Well, you ought to give us a clue which car. Is it a Mercedes?

But in any event since you probably need this to find spare parts, why not subscribe for free to EPC. You can then enter your VIN and generate a "datacard" which will show your engine number (assuming it's the original of course)

http://epc.startekinfo.com

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

But in any event since you probably need this to find spare parts, why not subscribe for free to EPC. You can then enter your VIN and generate a "datacard" which will show your engine number (assuming it's the original of course)

I thought I posted in the right section W211 E-class, of course it a mercedes.

I know the engine number but need to verify with the document I got to confirm it the original engine and not swapped by some dodgy swapper.:D

Thanks for the link but it won't allow me to subscribe without a US address, I am in UK.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic, 2008 CLK 350 Cabriolet
2 Posts

How do you subscribe for free? I just tried this link and they wanted up to $2,950 for 1 year!! Is there a demo or limited subscription that is free? Thanks.

·
Registered
1983 W126 280S, 1988 W124 300CE, 1991 W124 E300, 1995 W124 E200
218 Posts
okayyy... so how/where do we read the engine number on the actual engine ??
Im attaching a picture of my engine, which is different looking then most weirdly enough... trying to find top cover that fits the abnormal location of oil cap...

maybe the previous owner changed the engine, im not sure about anything anymore

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
600 (3.200 mm)
1,542 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
i finally found the engine number
had to open a few items but i did get there and found it.. had the place been clean im sure id have read it from underneath but this gave me an opportunity to clean it alll too :Grin

check the photographs :Grin

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
LOL !!
the whole exercise was to confirm if the car has the original engine, recently bought it and engine top cover is not normal... looks different then any CDI220 ive seen so had to confirm if engine was original or not..

It seems that my cylinder head cover is from Sprinter

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
853 Posts
thanks for posting your awesome engine pics! And thanks for telling us where to actually locate the number - I know that there may be forum topics covering it, but when it goes on and on and people just provide links instead of answering the question, it doesn't help some of us who surf on in via google searches looking for a quick answer.

I know this post goes back years, and now I'm trying to find the engine code for my W212 so I can shop on Autohausaz...the subscriptions on EPC now start at $75.

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
853 Posts
Thanks again - I did realize this after going through those very valuable data cards :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts