Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S500V
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My 2002 S500 is due for windshield wiper replacement. Where do you guy get your wiper inserts? Is there a online parts store that you trust. The dealer is like 3 miles from my house but I wonder how much could one save by ordering online? I am leaning going to the dealer to get it over with. Thank you for your time. :thumbsup: Great board. Keep it up guys.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,631 Posts
Tougher and tougher to find for pre-facelift cars. We have two of them.

I went on eBay and searched for them. Took some doing, but I found two or three of them at about $17 a set and bought them on the spot.

·
Registered
2002 S500V
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what size are they? There is a long one on the driver side and the short one on the passenger side. These are the beam type of wiper insert, am I right? I saw some post recommending using Bosch part.

·
Registered
2002 S500V
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the dealer is charging $78 in Houston for one set of windshield wiper insert. Just FYI.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4M Avant Garde, My Mistress 2002 S600, Wife 2014 C300 4M Avant Garde with AMG
986 Posts
The best wipers are at Costco: "Michelin" brand that fit and work better than MB or Bosch Icon.
Got them on all my cars now!

·
Registered
2002 S500V
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I search a few online sites that sells OEM parts and they all said part number 220-824-01-27 has been discontinued. Any help is much appreciated. Probably have to use the last resort: pay $78 for a dealer parts for which I don't mind but just want to see what is everybody doing since there is a four fold difference. The other concern I have is once I order the parts online or from Ebay, if they don't fit it is very troublesome to ship them back.

·
W220 Moderator
6,333 Posts
Hi,

I never fit inserts, especially at that price I wouldn't ..................

At least, (in UK), quality brand complete Wiper Blades are available circa £25 - £35 ;)

I usually change them at least annual service time, remember, in NW Scotland our blades get a lot of use :big laugh:

Note that there are 2 different types of fixing to the Wiper Arms, and I don't think it is Pre and Post F/L that's the difference because I have seen both types on both Cars :wink

HTH,

·
Registered
2002 S500V
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For $78 I would imagine the dealer offer full wiper blades, not just the insert. I am going to try to buy them at Advance Auto Parts as I saw a Youtube video that said the wiper blades are at AAP. For around $40 I would give them a shot. Thanks everyone. Cheers!

·
Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
759 Posts
What am I missing here? I just checked through Rock auto and there are numerous options.

I must admit I haven't changed mine yet, but then again, I don't drive it in the rain or snow. I still have the same ones on there from when I purchased the car over a year ago and they look/feel new.

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
902 Posts
I must admit I haven't changed mine yet, but then again, I don't drive it in the rain or snow. I still have the same ones on there from when I purchased the car over a year ago and they look/feel new.
Even though they may look new and have not been used, the rubber gets dried out unfortunately :frown The original Mercedes ones come with two dots. One on each wiper. Once they run their course the dots will change color and turn green. Mine just did so I have to go get a new set lol

·
Registered
2002 S500V
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On Ebay there is a vendor selling a set of Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades for $35 with free shipping. I would order it except when I check the compatibility fit it says this:

ONLY FITS from chassis # A 116843

So I have a S500V which is a long wheel base. Is my chasis same as S55 and I should use S55 as the model to check for fit? It gets kind of complicated. Also, I have found I can get just the wiper blade inserts, tear out the old inserts and put in the new inserts for a lot less. At Amazon they go for $8 for a set. Hmm... Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 S500V
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys, my question is how do I find the chassis number? I am considering the set of wiper blades from Ebay, the Bosch Aerotwin that are both 27" long. Thank you in advance. :D

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
There is a second option. It turns out that the pre- and post-facelift wiper arms are interchangeable (yes, I've tried it). The difference is that the post-facelift wiper arms will take the newer, Costco Michelin-style wiper blades.

Fortunately, used wiper arms are inexpensive. When I can no longer get inserts for our pre-facelift cars, I will be permanently retrofitting post-facelift wiper arms on our pre-facelift cars. Currently, my 2003 S600 (post-facelift) has the pre-facelift style on there since I could still get inserts, and I really do prefer the pre-facelift style.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4M Avant Garde, My Mistress 2002 S600, Wife 2014 C300 4M Avant Garde with AMG
986 Posts
The best wipers are at Costco: "Michelin" brand that fit and work better than MB or Bosch Icon.
Got them on all my cars now!

The Costco Michelin wipers fit just fine on my pre-facelift 2002 with the adapters supplied.

·
Registered
2002 S500V
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I bought 3 pairs of wiper blades from Ebay for $45. They arrived today. These are Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades. I thought for $45 for 3 pairs I would give them a try first. My mobile mechanic told me today the dealer ones has the best quality. The dealer ones have a yellow dot on them. They are for $78 a pair. Cheers.

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
902 Posts
Update: I bought 3 pairs of wiper blades from Ebay for $45. They arrived today. These are Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades. I thought for $45 for 3 pairs I would give them a try first. My mobile mechanic told me today the dealer ones has the best quality. The dealer ones have a yellow dot on them. They are for $78 a pair. Cheers.
Yeah that is what I said 15 days ago lol

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
So is the Costco one. I've had them on the Hondas, and they've worked rather well. Didn't realize they'd fit our W220's as well. That's good, because the S600 TT is due for a set.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts