Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need a set of these "pullers" so I can get behind the instrument cluster and swap out the ambient temp reading bulb. It drives me bonkers that I can't read what the ambient temp is at night.

Thanks

·
Registered
07 GL 450, 00 E320 Wagon, 99 S500, 93 400E, 87 EURO Testarossa
139 Posts
plenty available on EBAY and got mine from el paso tools. Be careful, the tool may not remove your cluster if it has not been removed for a long time. If you pull to hard, the cluster cover will crack, just look at some of the blogs related to cluster removal. I swapped out my cluster and had to remove the left air conditioning vent to reach behind it and push the cluster while pulling with the tool from the front. It is easy to remove the air cond. vent so don't sweat it. There are blogs on this site that will show you step by step instructions on how to remove. One suggestion, when you put it back in, you should lubricate the metal clips that hold it in place so the next time you remove it, it will be easier.

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
Do not use these tools, if your dont know how you are very likely to crack the side of your cluster glass, much better ways is to remove side air vent and poke you hand behind cluster and pust it out (takes about 5 minutes and is much safer)
you can find guide on v12uberalles.com

·
Registered
185 Posts
Try here...
mercedes special tool

OR..
look at your local Snap-On or Mac Tools Distributor and Baum Tools should have them :)

Good luck

Do not use these tools, if your dont know how you are very likely to crack the side of your cluster glass, much better ways is to remove side air vent and poke you hand behind cluster and pust it out (takes about 5 minutes and is much safer)
They don't if you spray some silicone lubricant around the outer perimeter to "release" the cluster and allow it to slide easily out :D

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
yeh like seriously guys i can have cluster out faster than you could even prepare your "cluster glass cracking" tool :D (however skinny forearm is a requirement to reach in so not for bodybuilders)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all info guys. Im going to try getting access through the left vent and try not bothering with the tools (why spend $25 and probably use them just once) as I plan on changing all bulbs once I get the cluster off. Hopefully, I will not have to use the "pullers"

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Will this also work for a W210? I noticed its for a older model.

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
Just went through this today!! Had to replace a bunch of bulbs in my replacement dash!! I will most likely be flogged for this but my removal tools were home made out of a coat hanger! just made two right angles one for handle and the other to grip back of dash. Out it came no muss no fuss and no damage! the secret is TAKE YOUR TIME!!! Now my dash lites up like should!! Now I just need some rain to see if all my lites and gauges stop flashing!!! That would be nice!

Smokie

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
966 Posts
I use a credit card or thin blade plastic (body shop putty/bondo type) and slide it between the cluster and dash....and slide it all around the sides to "break" and seal then the tool to remove the cluster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts