Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1980 240D
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where can I get aftermarket parts for a 240D? I want to lower the car, sportier exhaust, cold air intake(if available), etc. And also, what size speakers will fit? I went to crutchfield.com and it only shows 5.25 for the rear deck. What about the front speakers? Is there a space for the front speakers? Im not sure because im doing this for my friend's car, so I dont know if the car only has 2 rear speakers or not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Parts

I think Eibach makes a lowering kit, you might want to check their website. As far as exhaust/intake, I have never seen anything. The rear speakers are 5.25", and on my 300D there's plenty of depth, and it might be the same on the 240D (so you probably won't have to worry about the mounting depth. You can just drop those in. The only problem I've had is with the front speakers located on the top corners of the dash.

They're four inch speakers, but the space there is limited. I couldn't mount my coaxial speakers normally because the tweeter is raised above the level of the speaker and didn't allow the dash cover to cover it. I had to mount it from underneath (try to avoid that if you can). You also have to be careful if the 4" speakers have a large mounting depth or a big magnet, as you won't be able to put it in because of the A/C vent tubes. You can get 4" speakers that fit, but they have to be short and small, and Crutchfield doesn't show you any because they don't have any 4"'s that fit!

Other things you can change are getting clear or smoked front turn signal lights, and there are also smoked and even black rear lights, but they are expensive. I don't know any sites off the top of my head, but if you search on Google something like w123 clear corner lights or something similar, you can find them.

Just make sure if you change something, that it looks good! It's an older car, so some modifications might make it look stupid!

·
Registered
1980 240D
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well of course it'll have to look good![:D] I mean, im more into the import race/show car ...

Well of course it'll have to look good![:D] I mean, im more into the import race/show car scene, but I know a good looking car when I see one, import or not[:)]. But my friend is just asking me to help him customize his 240D since im the expert on customizing cars among my peers[8D]. But when it comes to older cars, like the 240D, im stumped.

So do u know the exact depth that the front 4" speakers can fit? or is there a way to custom install them myself and have it look clean? or any good 4" speaker recommendations that can fit?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not sure

I'm not sure of their depth, but the situation there is, you don't only have to worry about depth, but also the size of the speaker's magnet. Because you have some depth, but a big (wide) magnet will touch the A/C tubes and prevent you from installing them. I have 4" Infinity coaxials, which have relatively large magnets, and if you mount them ANY way from the dash, you can't because of the A/C vent tubes (I'm working on the A/C so that's why I currently have them mounted). As far as speakers that just drop into the dash, I took note from someone somewhere online once that Pioneer TS-G1047 4" speakers will fit, but I have never heard them, so I don't know if they sound good or not.

I'm thinking about a different speaker setup in the front, as I don't have a lot of options in the front. I'm thinking about kickpanels/kickpods, and then I could use 6.5" speakers in the front. I did make the 5.25" holes in the back bigger, and put 6.5"'s back there, for fuller sound. If you really want to customize, you may want to think about a different setup in the front.

·
Registered
1980 240D
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, so how would I go about fitting 6.5 speakers in the front and back? What about 6.5 c...

yeah, so how would I go about fitting 6.5 speakers in the front and back? What about 6.5 components in the front? and where to get pre-fabricated kickpods for the 240D? or how much would it cost to get it custom made?

·
Registered
125 Posts
6.5"

Well, it might be easier to just get some 5.25"'s and 4"'s that just drop in. But if the guy really does want 6.5"s, in the back it's all a matter of positioning the speaker cutouts that come with the speakers, drilling holes for them and attaching them, and then cutting out the deck in the center circle of the cutout. I wouldn't recommend this unless it's really necessary, and you should first make sure that you do have the necessary space for the bigger speakers. As far as the front, I'm still currently using 4" speakers, so I haven't done anything with bigger speakers yet. I don't know of anybody that makes kickpods for the 240D, and don't know how much it costs to be custom made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.