Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a SDS C3 clone which isn't total rubbish.

Having gone over alibaba/aliexpress/dhgate etc. it seems clear that the sales people can't or won't provide accurate details about their products. A few have promised to provide extra pictures, but so far none have fulfilled said promise.

Trying to deduce anything from the pictures on the ads seems rather pointless since most appear to have copied the pictures and text from somewhere else. Many of the ads clearly have copied pictures from multiple places because the cables can look totally different between two pictures in the same ad.

I'd appreciate any tips on where to look.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Seems you've done some good homework on the topic. However, you have to be careful even with the guidance from the forum, those who sell crap tools are also advertising their products at these forums and often pretending to be ordinary forum members.

I wish you luck when selecting the tool.

Welcome to the forum too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also looking for a C4 clone that does what it is supposed to do. I am considering getting an OEM C4 unit but it appears to be not an option in some parts of the world, particularly Asia. Anyone who has cracked this problem do let us know!

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
I'm also looking for a C4 clone that does what it is supposed to do. I am considering getting an OEM C4 unit but it appears to be not an option in some parts of the world, particularly Asia. Anyone who has cracked this problem do let us know!
Are you actually referring to the SDconnect multiplexer device or also to the Compact4 "tablet" (the point is that "C4" often refers to a crap Chinese PartD clone)? Clones are most often used with commercial laptops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ideally a comprehensive system with both multiplexer and tablet. I'm not that familiar with mercedes but I would be surprised if a good tablet clone is available. Either way I don't care as I just want a reliable workable solution.

I prefer to get a genuine C4 unit, so am investigating this path seriously given that I am running an idependent garage, but I want all my options scoped out in case that falls though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I finally got my tool. Big thanks to Diesel Benz for pointing me to the right direction. In the end ordered from obdresource.com because their customer service was superior to all the other options I was considering.

Note that I just got the tool, and so haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Hopefully I won't run into any issues when I do.

Here are some pictures I took of the mux and cables:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally managed to test the tool on my W124 E280 '94.

Being such an old car I had to use the 4 plug cable and the HHT tool, and manually swap the signal plug around to test different systems.

I was expecting that I could only use it on the HFM and EA, but I was positively surprised to see that the transmission also responded to the tool. I also tried it on the SRS system, but that only caused the SRS light to blink a few times after which HHT indicated a failure in commincation, and my blink reader showed me that SRS had gained two fault codes. So I suppose the SRS system in my car is tool old for the tool. There were a few more systems listed, but my car doesn't have ASD so that was out, and I didn't bother testing DAS and whatever else was left on the list.

The only really annoying thing about this thing seems to be that the live data and actuator tests in HHT tend to refer to some sections of the diagnostic manuals for further information. And I believe the diagnostic manuals aren't available electronically. This same annoyance applies to WIS also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts