Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone,

I would like to know where I can get cheap benz paint from. Also where would I find the color code of my benz.

Also how bad would it hurt the value of the car if I changed the color all together. It is some kind of silver color right now and I want to do a Burgandy or something like that.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Evening everyone,

I would like to know where I can get cheap benz paint from. Also where would I find the color code of my benz.

Also how bad would it hurt the value of the car if I changed the color all together. It is some kind of silver color right now and I want to do a Burgandy or something like that.

Thanks for your input.
I would advise against "cheap paint". You get what you pay for.

The color code is on a plate on the front support structure of the engine compartment (by the radiator) when you open the hood.

It may not hurt the value too much but it will be VERY expensive to do to make it look right. You would need to take out the engine and paint everything including all of the door jams, trunk area etc. Not worth it.

Unless you have huge emotional ties to this particular car, I would get another one.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Evening everyone,

Thanks for your input.
Run your car's vin through the vin decoder at Mercedes-Benz Club Russia ¦ Официальный cайт российского Мерседес-Бенц Клуба. it will give you the color code. Note you need to click the "EN" tab on the upper right to have the page translated into english.

Using cheap paint and changing the color is a double whammy in terms of reducing the value.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
figure 15-20K to do a colour change reasonably properly.

Sell your car and find one in the colour you want....it's SO much easier going the other way doesn't even warrant contemplation.

Jonathan

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
43,863 Posts
Evening everyone,

Thanks for your input.
I bought several times paint from a business which supplies body shops. I can buy on a friends dealer account. For high quality MB paint # 172 made by DuPont I paid $76 minus 10% discount per quart.
The price for Glasurit would be higher.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
however, matching 20 year old metallic paint is Very difficult..and a good eye will always see the difference.

Jonathan

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
I think it really not worth it to use cheap paint on your car. We make paints for a living so I know how cheap stuff works. The pigments/colorants used on cheap stuff is something you would'nt dare putting in your car. Incidentally, we are the authorized distributor of Glasurit paints (OEM Mercedes paint) in this part of the world.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,129 Posts
I think it really not worth it to use cheap paint on your car. We make paints for a living so I know how cheap stuff works. The pigments/colorants used on cheap stuff is something you would'nt dare putting in your car. Incidentally, we are the authorized distributor of Glasurit paints (OEM Mercedes paint) in this part of the world.
cool. probably not such a glamerous job? also dangerous! what can you tell me about the paint used originaly on a (87 MB,metalik, clear) then & now? what were the most notable changes? ( other than water base ).can i get the good old stuff? its also said the clear yellows? can you shed some light on this. im in the proses of buying paint.will be very interested in what you have to say.

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
cool. probably not such a glamerous job? also dangerous! what can you tell me about the paint used originaly on a (87 MB,metalik, clear) then & now? what were the most notable changes? ( other than water base ).can i get the good old stuff? its also said the clear yellows? can you shed some light on this. im in the proses of buying paint.will be very interested in what you have to say.
We still have the old stuff here since the environmental laws here are not really strict. Currently the latest trend here is the 2 component (2K) polyurethane paint system. I don't know whats the trend over there but the ancient thermoplastic acrylic type (TPA) of paint is well and alive over here. We have not yet really dabbled with the water based. I have to agree with you that the Glasurit clear coat has a tendency to yellow specially if its stored for extended period of time.

·
Banned
1987 420SEL
48 Posts
Check out Nason paints. It is an economy brand, a lot cheaper than the name brands, and I have been very satisfied with it. I know some very good body shops that use it, and they swear by it. I think most paints are 'way overpriced.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
I think most paints are 'way overpriced.

I agree there! There is definitely a point of diminishing returns.....

But the real cheap stuff is still something to stay away from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts