Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I know there is a DIY for cleaning the MAF sensor for W210 from 1998 and up

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1328069-maf-diy-pictorial-replacing-cleaning.html

but mine on 1996 E320 looks quite different as in the pix below.

I opened the MAF and pulled out the insert with the sensor. Does anybody know where I can clean it with CRC MAF cleaner. I guess not direct on the thin strip in the hollow cavity. I don't see anything that can be removed to expose the electrical contacts.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
That

thin metal strip is the thermistor,a heated resistor that looses heat in proportion to the flow of air going past it and sends that value to the ecu by change in resistance ,spray it all down,just don't touch it with anything.The crc will evap if you let it sit for 15 minutes,then reinstall it and make sure you have all the air tubes unkinked and clamps on properly and wire plugged in firmly.
Good job:thumbsup:
:bowdown:eek:hlord

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ohlord, I'll give it a try. Hopefully the cleaner leaves no residue on the thermistor. Just wondering that for the other sensor type the DIY says to clean the contacts and not the sensor itself.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Maybe they did not

include that crucial bit of info:D
The heated wire is what gets dirty,oily,etc. so even on the m112 and m113 engine maf inserts you spray that also,just make sure spray is the only thing that gets on it.no touchy:D

no residue,that is why the crc brand:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can not see your photos. May I ask you to re-post them?

Hi,

I know there is a DIY for cleaning the MAF sensor for W210 from 1998 and up

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1328069-maf-diy-pictorial-replacing-cleaning.html

but mine on 1996 E320 looks quite different as in the pix below.

I opened the MAF and pulled out the insert with the sensor. Does anybody know where I can clean it with CRC MAF cleaner. I guess not direct on the thin strip in the hollow cavity. I don't see anything that can be removed to expose the electrical contacts.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Links to the pix restored. Please refresh the page to see them in my first post.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The chance of the cleaning the unit to make it work is very slim. Oxidation, during the course of usage will definitely damaged the sensor. you may make it prolong its life by less than 30 to 90 days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts