Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
Try Performance Products, they might have it.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz forever. :)
123 Posts
There's a guy that sells some gauge decals on eBay. Though it is kind of cool that you can get any image printed on them, they're a bit tacky in my opinion.

Perf Prod sells a real set. It's not too hard a process to replace them if you know how to get your gauge cluster out and are very careful when taking the needles off!

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
There was a seller from New Jersey on EBAY who made a high quality instrument face.
Installation takes about an hour.....but as the previous poster stated, care must be taken in removing the indicator needles.

If you also like the chrome trim rings, then install them while your cluster is out.

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
Reviving the old...

On Amazon they offer a face plate kit that is flexible. They are able to slide over the needles. Besides, if you try to remove them (needles) you'll more than likely damage them beyond repair.

http://www.amazon.com/1984-1993-Mercedes-w124-White-Gauges/dp/B0031W3G5A/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341605063&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=mercedes+w124+face+plates

On eBay autobiz111 and chromesupply88 offer the chrome trim rings

For some the white face plates may be overkill, whereas just the chrome rings would suffice

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
Actually I would like the white faces... the black needs too much unavailable light for me to see them sometimes... yes, old eyes.

Tho perhaps brighter bulbs would also suffice... ???

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
A friend in the US manufacturers them and can customise them if you wish.
These are not stick on decals and do require removing the neddles.
Contrary to wat has been said a little care and they come off easily.
Just some rules to remember when doing it such as lifting those with stop pins over the stop pin before removing it. They illuminate much better than black even with led bulbs and actuially enhance (IMO) the look of the car.
They are actually printed onto a sheet then sealed in heat shrink and are thin enough to actually be fitted over the old dial face without interfering with the gauge performance. A $4.00 bottle of speedo needle paint also does wonders whilst you have the cluster apart.
Below is the customised set I have had in my 300CE for some time.

Standard Cluster - pre fitment of white faces
Zender - Instrument Cluster Current 1.jpg
The installation is quite simple and takes minutes once the cluster is out.
013.jpg
Further enhancing the lighting I have used LED replacement bulbs in the cluster lighting sockets.
IMG_1177.JPG

The other alternative is slightly more expensive which is plasma dials which provides illuminate numbers and lettering on the actual dial face. But this requires replacing the dial face itself. But the result is quite brialliant in comaprison.

I have been down this track quite a bit - if you want more info please PM me only too happy to assist. :D

Reactions: Firewater

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts