·
Registered
1999 E300DT (RIP) 2001 E55
128 Posts

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,706 Posts
With 16" you will have limited supply. Took me 2 years to find AMG monoblocks in 16" size as for last decade + they put 17 and 18"
What I have right now are 5-spokes from E420. Best option IMHO before going to high priced wheels,.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With 16" you will have limited supply. Took me 2 years to find AMG monoblocks in 16" size as for last decade + they put 17 and 18"
What I have right now are 5-spokes from E420. Best option IMHO before going to high priced wheels,.
Yeah, in 16" the supply is extremely limited. :mad: I just bought new Michelin tires with 90k miles warranty so I need to stick with 16 not only for that but for the ride quality as well.

·
Registered
36,706 Posts
for the ride quality as well.
Tiii... not too many owners will admit it and I actually have seen only 1 guy who admitted that low profile wheels will give "gocart handling with gocart ride comfort"
I sold the 17" wheels to other member as where we drive cushioning the freeway potholes is critical. I just spotted a set of good 17" monoblocks for good price and am thinking about buying it for my son, but the time will tell.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
w211 has a nice looking 16' wheel, i see them on classified section or on craigslist for $250-350/set.
there is definitely a little difference in ride comfort between 16 and 17 if not using quality tire, but with a good set of tires shouldn't be able to tell any difference.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E200 (W210 - 1997)
34 Posts
I bought a set of second hand W211 rims for S$400 (16"). Compared to the 17", the 16" give a much more comfortable ride. Also, getting a relatively better FC compared to the 19" which came with my ride (previous owner).

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
36,706 Posts
"AMG style" my a** >>>> AMG never had fake rivets as far as I know.,
My local CL shows lot of original AMG wheels for sale. Once I start shopping around - now I have 2 sets of good looking monoblocks.
One chrome set is already on our black car and I got black/chrome caps for replacement as well. Once the 2nd set arrives, I will take some pictures.
Additional notice - new AMG wheels are 18", yet with extreme performance Nitto the ride is good. I think it is better than 17" with Michelins I remember, but that might be just old memory.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
If you don't know wheels, don't buy unknown crap from an unknown ebay seller. If (when?) you have a problem you'll spend lots of time and money shipping them back and forth. (I could tell you a couple of stories...)

And if you do know wheels, you wouldn't be posting this thread. ;)

My recommendation is to stick with either a local supplier or tirerack.com. The local guy will have to work with you or you'll be sitting in front of his shop all the time and tire rack doesn't sell junk, so you won't have to worry about returns or issues unless you actually happen to get a defect. The other alternative is to use TR to locate the brand and model of the wheel you want, then see if you can find it cheaper, though you'd want to be sure it was factory new and fully warranted.

But simply trying to find "this wheel only cheaper" is likely going to end up costing you more money. Do it smart to begin with, even if it costs you a few more dollars initially. The money (and potentially lives) you save in the long run will make it worth it.

That's my .02.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you don't know wheels, don't buy unknown crap from an unknown ebay seller. If (when?) you have a problem you'll spend lots of time and money shipping them back and forth. (I could tell you a couple of stories...)

And if you do know wheels, you wouldn't be posting this thread. ;)

My recommendation is to stick with either a local supplier or tirerack.com. The local guy will have to work with you or you'll be sitting in front of his shop all the time and tire rack doesn't sell junk, so you won't have to worry about returns or issues unless you actually happen to get a defect. The other alternative is to use TR to locate the brand and model of the wheel you want, then see if you can find it cheaper, though you'd want to be sure it was factory new and fully warranted.

But simply trying to find "this wheel only cheaper" is likely going to end up costing you more money. Do it smart to begin with, even if it costs you a few more dollars initially. The money (and potentially lives) you save in the long run will make it worth it.

That's my .02.
Great advice as usual.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts