Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Tried searching and found nothing. I bought a project r129 about a year ago and need the 3 windows for the soft top. Soft top is in good condition, but is just missing the windows. I found some new soft tops with windows online, but it looks like it'd be less time consuming to just sew new windows in instead of taking off the old soft top and installing a new one.

Any idea where I can buy the windows I need?

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,114 Posts
Don't know where your are, but if you are near water, check out Marine (ship) equipment stores where some of them may make or carry stuff for sail boats and most larger sailboats should have fold down canvas hoods with plastic windows for their cockpits.

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
324 Posts
Don't know where your are, but if you are near water, check out Marine (ship) equipment stores where some of them may make or carry stuff for sail boats and most larger sailboats should have fold down canvas hoods with plastic windows for their cockpits.
That’s a great call. I’m in the Chicago area. There is a big lake here and quite a few marine stores to support the boats and marinas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 SL500
220 Posts
I heard that replacing the windows only doesn’t do the trick and that either the whole rear section should be replaced or the whole top should be replaced.

my top is old and stained anyways so I’m replacing with a custom color top

·
Registered
1996 SL 500
43 Posts
I heard that replacing the windows only doesn’t do the trick and that either the whole rear section should be replaced or the whole top should be replaced.

my top is old and stained anyways so I’m replacing with a custom color top
Hey Guys
Been there done that, you can separate the back section your self. Take a close look behind the soft top liner,
The only tricky part is to reattach the back section to the bow, it needs gluing and screwing.
If you do all this, don't take out the old stitching, it makes measuring of the lens pattern easier.
Take your time,
Cheers! Hans

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
644 Posts
ugh - I sewed in one side window and it was a horrible experience. I couldn't even imagine doing the large middle window. Mine came out good enough to hold me for a few seasons, but it took a long time and was difficult to make it look passable. I would say, just replace the rear panel with the windows already sewn in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i need all 3 windows. the top looks like it's in good condition, but i may just suck it up and order a new top completely with windows and just take the time to install that.

·
Registered
2001 SL500
220 Posts
i need all 3 windows. the top looks like it's in good condition, but i may just suck it up and order a new top completely with windows and just take the time to install that.
And when you go that route, you get the option of getting a custom color soft top :)

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
If you are cheap (like me) and can't sew (like ceta4zng) but handy enough to remove the rear section (like Hans),
just remove it and take it to the boating canvas shop and have them replace the plastic windows.

·
Registered
GLE350 / 2017, E350 coupe / 2014, SL500 / 1997
122 Posts
There are a few YouTube videos showing how to get it done. Search for r129 window replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 SL500
473 Posts
My windows were yellowed and stiff so I removed the rear section only of the top and had an auto upholstery shop replace them. I used this video as a guide. It is a do-able job for someone who can follow instructions and use tools. It took me 1/2 a day to get the old back top off, and about a day to get it back on after being re-windowed. Happy with the results as the the top is original and in very good nick.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,778 Posts
I can remember several long threads here about kits - but like the other poster to me all that sewing is a PITA but if you do some searches you will find everything you wanted to know

·
Registered
1996 SL 500
43 Posts
If you are cheap (like me) and can't sew (like ceta4zng) but handy enough to remove the rear section (like Hans),
just remove it and take it to the boating canvas shop and have them replace the plastic windows.
That's what i meant to say, just make shore to pic the right plastic that folds easy.
Look out for a couple of wires inside either side of the big lens, they may be frayed and need replacing.
At the time I found the only ONE in Canada,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i tried contacting some marine stores around me, but they said they didn't have what i needed and didn't seem willing to really work with me

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
If there is a Marina near where you are, go and talk to some sail boat owners and ask where do they go to have their canvas work done (as canvas on most large sail boats are custom jobs). It should not be tooo expensive if you can remove the rear section and just have them replace the plastic windows.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts