Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

First let me thank all those who have gone before in posting questions and experience on doing rotors and pads on the 320.:bowdown:

I am getting ready to do mine and have decided on Brembo rotors (not cross
drilled) and Akebono pads mainly due to the press here. The car is a short trip daily driver for my wife and not used for any hard driving except Bay Area
freeways

When I talked to the MB dealer and another shop wrt to using MB parts both asked for the vin number if I was going to use them so the could order parts.
When I look for Brembo rotors/Akebono pads no such info is required. Any
insight appreciated.

Next question is: Akebono sells three versions of the same Ceramic pad--Euro, Street Performance and ProAct. Any insight into the difference?

Last, Prices seem to vary widly in my view. Thus far Tire Rack the lowest (approx 260) and EBC at the other with approx 385. I am all for saving money but do not want second rate parts at a low price. :surrender: All input is appreciated

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
I think the VIN no. requirement can be overkill on basic parts that don't change over the life of the vehicle - (ie: brakes but not electrics?)

Having bought a bit from Tirerack, I certainly don't think you'll ever get 'seconds' - The rotors and pads I purchased come with better packaging and extras than OEM here.(non squeal grease with the Akebonos and extremely good instructions/g'tee) - More a function of the manufacturer than supplier.
Better deal than local even after freight.

Can't comment on the different types of pad but my 'Euro' Akebonos are fine and virtually dust free - so much so that I'm going to ditch perfectly good rear pads (OEM) and replace with dustless.

oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K
293 Posts
I have the combo Oberoi has (looks like the ATE slotted rotors/Akebono ceramic). The ATE slotted rotors are coated so the non wear points don't rust, looks a little nicer IMHO.

Avery

·
Registered
2004 230SLK
222 Posts
Buy the Euros. They are virtually dust free. I have them front and rear. They supply rears with one pin or two. Check yours to make sure you get the correct pads if you order rears.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback and the 1 or 2 pin on the rears.

I will probably use the ATE rotors for the reasons stated in the thread here but the Brembo seem just a highly recommended in earlier threads.

Tire Rack has good pricing and will give them the business.

Gary

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Tire Rack Rotors and Pads

oberoi,

I am about to order the same brakes and rotors you pictured above. With the Aussie dollar so high its a crime not to.

Does the Aussie SLK230 have the single or double pin rear pads? Is it even different from country to country?

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Mine is a pre facelift, late 99 build and it has the single pin - you would need to look at the calipers to be sure

Just look through the wheel at the caliper - the pin or pins are easily seen at the rear of the caliper (nearest the rim)

Amcfall is right, they are the ATE grooved rotors and Euro Akebonos - the grooves disappear when they are down to the min. thickness -- BTW, not a scrap of rust after almost 12 mths

Consider tyres too when you need them- the Conti Extreme Contact DWS tyres are $92 USD and take 4 days to Australia - comfortable and quiet - 540 wear factor -50k miles gtee - non directional.
Would be around 200 here at least (if you could get them)

Oberoi

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts