Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do Aussie members buy their spare parts?

I'm in Melbourne and have used Silver Star Spares in Sydney in the past, but I just spoke to the most hopeless guy there (heavy Irish accent) who clearly couldn't care less whether he sold anything to me and refused to courier a part to a residential address.

Already tried Autobarn and they sold me a Nuline belt tensioner pulley which they say is correct for my car, but it's too big in diameter. Supercheap Auto have the same part brands as Autobarn.

Any other suggestions (other than the stealerships who practice extortion)?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,241 Posts
Where do Aussie members buy their spare parts?

I'm in Melbourne and have used Silver Star Spares in Sydney in the past, but I just spoke to the most hopeless guy there (heavy Irish accent) who clearly couldn't care less whether he sold anything to me and refused to courier a part to a residential address.

Already tried Autobarn and they sold me a Nuline belt tensioner pulley which they say is correct for my car, but it's too big in diameter. Supercheap Auto have the same part brands as Autobarn.

Any other suggestions (other than the stealerships who practice extortion)?
Scroll down past the forums to the vendor listing. Unlike European vendors, many of the US sellers will ship outside US incl Australia.
Almost all offer original Mercedes parts at discounts.
Some Australians use a US shipper, who will also consolidate several vendor orders into one to reduce shipping costs.
Check with member KRH from Perth. He might give you some pointers.
Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Now I have started looking at US suppliers I have the opposite problem - too much choice! There are so many after market brands available in the US.

For example, looking at Pelican Parts for the drive belt tensioner for an ML430, suppliers include, Uro Parts, Litens, Febi Bilstein, Ina, Trucktec, OE Supplier, and of course Mercedes.

Which one to go for?

As an aside, I spoke to Silver Star Spares in Sydney, Australia this week. They quoted me $140 +GST +Freight for the Trucktec tensioner pulley (just the pulley), yet I can buy the whole Trucktec tensioner from the Pelican Parts for US$80.50

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,241 Posts
Thanks guys.

Now I have started looking at US suppliers I have the opposite problem - too much choice! There are so many after market brands available in the US.

For example, looking at Pelican Parts for the drive belt tensioner for an ML430, suppliers include, Uro Parts, Litens, Febi Bilstein, Ina, Trucktec, OE Supplier, and of course Mercedes.

Which one to go for?

As an aside, I spoke to Silver Star Spares in Sydney, Australia this week. They quoted me $140 +GST +Freight for the Trucktec tensioner pulley (just the pulley), yet I can buy the whole Trucktec tensioner from the Pelican Parts for US$80.50
Perhaps some research into where certain parts brands are on a scale from cheap junk to middle of the road and road OEM - suppliers and Mercedes parts.
The last two are quality wise about the same, like Lemforder and Mercedes.
If Kim was kind enough to get in touch with you, he has all the experience to point you in the right direction.
In our opinion, brands like Hamburg Tech or URO are close to the bottom. Febi a little bit up with Meyle close to middle of the road.
(German spelled) Autohausaz is near Phoenix, Arizona, and also offers original MB parts. I like them for using the original MB parts numbers, you can use in your browser for a search for best deal on the OEM part.
MBoem parts is really Mercedes Benz of Naperville (near Chicago) I am told.
FCP Euro is not a vendor here anymore but has good prices on same parts, but is on the US East Coast.
Best of luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I ordered a new belt tensioner, serpentine belt and idler pulley from Pelican Parts the previous Sunday night (Australian time) and they arrived on Thursday. Total cost was about AUD$240 which included priority Fedex shipping.

When I got the old belt tensioner off the car I could see it was made by Litens, which is the brand I bought from Pelican. To buy the tensioner from my local Merc dealership it would have been $840 and $75 for the idler pulley, and I'm not sure if those prices included GST.

I didn't check the belt price with the dealership, but from a local aftermarket supplier (Autobarn) it was $120.

So all up I saved well over AUD$700 buying from the US.

We get seriously ripped off here in Australia :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts