Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The part number is 202 811 05 98, but my MB dealer parts guy says the number doesn't come up, which means it's not orderable. This is not the first time I'm run into this.

It's the flat rubber seal that is pressed up against door, that comes off when you remove the mirror assembly (3-screws). It's intact, but there are some cracks around its perimeter.

Anyone know if it's possible to buy these separately?

·
Registered
1998 S420
95 Posts
I checked into this about a year ago, as one of mine is cracked/dry rotted. The other mirror was replaced due to damage, so that seal is brand new.
The dealer would not sell it to me. Said I need to buy the entire $$$$$ mirror assembly to get the stupid seal.
If you do find out where to get one, let me know. I want one for the drivers side.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
the part is available and you are doing it wrong.

never, no matter what you do, tell them the part number, ever.

use the epc designation part and category to tell them the parts. part numbers change, some are eliminated over the years, some are internal and not found.

doors > outside mirror > part 86

that's what you need. happy shopping.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,765 Posts
Dave,

Let us know what happens if Gyrate's idea works for you?

Gyrate,

Is it the same part No. 86 for the right mirror? I need the right one.

Thank you,

Martin

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
it shows me the pn as 140 something (not 202). the l/r will be the same except for the last 2 numbers, as it's usually the case. i just point them to the part designation and tell them for which side it is (drivers = left, pass = right). but i always confirm with drivers/pass esp with parts that come from germany

i didn't write it down but i could go back in and check it for you. ill call them myself tomorrow as i need to get this part and some others. my mirrors are 5yo and the seals already look beat up. pathetic quality

ps. i had it open on the other computer so here:

140 725 05 66 L
140 725 06 66 R

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No luck with either ideas.

Attached are the diagrams the dealer parts guy has (who will be leaving in a couple weeks for another, better-paying job, after 15+ years at Mercedes of South Atlanta, Bob Rox). There is no 86. In fact, 83 is the highest.

He said the 140 numbers are for the coupes.

Shucks and darn.

While in the US Air Force, they always said to make the bottom line the top one. I should heed that advice more often.

Attachments

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
uhm.. you don't even have that seal i was thinking of :eek:

but the rest is the same. you should just retrofit "normal" mirrors that have parts you can buy when its time

btw, looking at that, did you check if your seal is part of the actual door and listed under it? as i don't even see a seal there. just part 60 housing flange to door and 56 mirror housing that attaches to that. the coupe seal will work, if your seal is part of the door. it's the same exact mirror otherwise and mounts.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say the seal is part of the mirror assembly. Beats me why it's not pictured in the diagram. In my picture that shows the side of the seal that touches the door, there are two connectors squished together (one round, one flat), and are torx-screwed (can't see it) onto the assembly. The seal does not just pull off, until those connectors are unscrewed. Now that I've said that, and having looked at it again, the size of the hole the wires go through (red arrow) is not big enough for the screwed-on connectors to go through - the ones on the other end (the ones I'm putting the "liquid insulation" on) might be able to if you're very careful. And the lower left green and yellow wires (yellow arrow) go through the seal and into the folding motor on the other side. It almost looks like they position the seal, and THEN attach the connectors.

You can see what I mean by it's intact, but it has several splits around the edge.

I've also included a picture of the wires, where I'm putting the "liquid insulation" on them. Those are the main motor wires. I'm just about done with them. The others that are bare are the heat/dim wires. I thought I'd try this method, because the wires are fine, and therefore this fix preserves the original wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
weird as hell.. yeah the s3xx pulls up that weird mirror diagram

but pulling s420 and above shows the normal mirrors (that i have on the coupe and that i've seen on the sedans)

check out the one for the 420, look at the highlighted parts.

and 140 xxx xx xx being for coupes only is a lie. it's for the chassis. sedans and coupes. interchange parts may begin with another # which is what might be happening here. yes that seal is done for.

i suspect you need part 41, regardless what the vin for your car says. if it's a cheap one might as well try it.. pull the old one out, order new one, then compare on the spot while the new one is in the bag. if it doesn't match, return for refund. that's what i would do.

ok back to fighting with my seatbelt assembly. i only broke one thing so far. hmmmm

Attachments

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the extra info - it looks like it might even be the 41 on the diagram I supplied from the dealer. A little different shape, but most likely the same.

When I said he said the 140 numbers are for coupes, I meant the numbers you gave me,

140 725 05 66 L
140 725 06 66 R

were for coupes, not that "140" was for coupes, if that's what you thought I meant.

I can believe that the coupe mirrors are a little different than the sedans', but maybe they're not.

I'll call him back, maybe even drop by there today and show him my mirror.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,765 Posts
Mine look like yours-all cracked. I may just cast my my own from this stuff TAP Plastics sells. No way I would pay 750 bucks per mirror to get the seal-that just silly!!!

See what you find out with the coupe version.

Martin

·
Registered
1998 S420
95 Posts
I looked though my parts stack and I actually have a like new passenger side (right) seal. No cracks, look genuine. I can include the mirror that it is attached to. The mirror assembly is damaged, but the seal and glass are still perfect. I'd trade it outright for a driver side (left) seal in like new shape.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My right one looks great. It's just the left with some cracks. Buried in my last post I said I'm not sure how you'd replace it, since the wiring goes through a pretty small hole, and the connectors are definitely larger than the hole. Maybe it stretches, but you'd have to be careful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts