Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Altoidboi71 said:
My interior combo is called charcoal and oyster (225)
incase You happen to know where to get the paint in the states
Altoidboi- do you have the 2000 ltd. edition obsidian black slk? I have, and my car booklet also said my interior was oyster and charcoal. I am planning to order some paint so I want to make sure that the "leather sand" color really is a match for my interior... the Russian VIN decoder seems to say it is.

B.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
brittbolen said:
I am planning to order some paint so I want to make sure that the "leather sand" color really is a match for my interior... the Russian VIN decoder seems to say it is.

B.
Brittbolen,
'Leather Sand 225 ' is usually called Sienna beige -- it is the colour in the pics I sent you - It's a very good match - there is a colour join just forward of the split in the console - (new paint from the split back)

6 mths after this was taken, I did the lot --easy.

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 slk230
66 Posts
You know, any good detailing shop will paint your console, dash or door panels for really cheap. They painted my console for $55, looks just like new. Took 2 hours.

It's been 2 years, no fading or peeling.
Does that price include removing the console and reinstalling?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got quoted $800-$1000 to repair my console peeling paint at a body shop - so definitely contacting Viponds to get their paint - I think a body shop seems a Mercedes and thinks they can take advantage - don't think so!

·
Registered
2001 SLK Sport, 1960 Austin Healey "bugeye" Sprite
10 Posts
This was my experience with refinishing the interior of the SLK.

I was glad I joined this website for a number of reasons, one of which was to realized that others with the R170 body style were experiencing paint problems with the interior plastic. I just bought a 2001 Sport, manual shift, charcoal interior with 36,500 miles on it assuming that the repaint of the plastic wouldn’t be that big of a deal. In addition I had to locate a new glove box, since the old one appeared to have been broken into, and it was trashed. I located a used one for $50 in perfect condition, but it had the same issue with a couple of spots needing touch-up. The $150-$250 estimates I received seemed insane from the standpoint of probably having to redo it again in a couple of years. So, I set out to locate a paint that would adhere to plastic and never come off, chip, or peel.

Many of you had written in about the Viponds product, but it seems that the future would always bring about the same problems of chipping, peeling and rubbing off. There were places on my console that appeared to have been re-sprayed by the Mercedes dealer because it was slightly lighter in color to that underneath. It was also sticky to the touch in places and also easy to rub off with my fingers.

I found the following web site which seemed to be the answer to my problem:
Colorbond - The best choice for automotive or marine plastic vinyl leather restoration and color
The color I was looking for was the charcoal, black or anthracite interior. The only Mercedes color that was on the color chart was “antracite”. A phone call to them confirmed their color matching paint came from Mercedes. The following is quoted from their website:

ColorBond Paint:
“Sprays on easily, dries quickly, deep-penetrating color forms a permanent bond to dashboard, console, ceiling, door trim, smooth-stretched fabric, you name it. Color is abrasion resistant , flexible and it won't fade. Not for use on fabric seats. 12-oz can.
The proprietary formula penetrates surface and molecularly bonds to permanently seal in color. Dries to the touch in 45 seconds. Forms a complete molecular bond in 10 minutes. UV stable and color fast, it will not crack, flake, or peel.”

Paint Adhesion:
“Specially formulated to fill nicks and scratches. Makes automotive paint stick to all types of flexible surfaces. Special self-leveling formula requires no sanding and dries quickly. Makes painting flexible items fast and easy with superior results.”

Minimum order was $25 which covered two cans. I ordered two cans of the spray paint and one spray can of the clear Paint Adhesion. In addition, I had to figure out a way to remove the previous water based paint, stain, or whatever had been used on it before without ruining the plastic underneath. The stripping product I used was so simple and readily available at Lowes. It’s called Mötsenböcker’s LiftOff. I bought the water-based gel bottle (32 oz.) and used less than half of it. The paint literally lifted off in sheets from the plastic leaving it completely unharmed. Soap and water cleaned it off, and it was ready for spraying.

I ended up removing most of the panels, stripping them and painting them outside the car. I don’t necessarily recommend this since the plastic that Mercedes used is not very hard and can crack and break easily. Over time the attachment points where the anchoring screws are tend to crack and break, so I found myself repairing these points with fiberglass and epoxy. At a minimum, I would remove the center console which is the easiest to remove and also the hardest to spray correctly in the car.

The only problem I see is that the ColorBond paint chart only shows the charcoal color for Mercedes. It is called “Antracite” and is the correct color from Mercedes. If you have a red interior or beige there may be some other color from a different car that’s listed on their color chart that would be suitable.

I also had a couple of wear spots on the driver’s leather seat and the roll bar. It was a perfect match. I’ve so far been pleased and have been concerned when I’ve scraped something across the finish, but all I’ve had to do is use a damp cloth, and the finish hasn’t scratched or chipped. Interestingly, I made a couple of mistakes on the lift cover to the console and had to try and remove some of the new paint. Unlike the original paint that just came off in sheets with a plastic putty knife, the Mötsenböcker’s did not work as effectively to remove the new paint. It was really stuck on!

I hope this helps some of you out there trying to keep your cars in tip-top condition.

·
Registered
SLK-320 (it's not just for gay hairdressers anymore ya' know!)
95 Posts
I just got done redoing my interior. I have to give two thumbs up to Viponds - great stuff.

HOWEVER -

I strongly do NOT advocate trying to repaint your interior in the car. I disassembled all the colored surfaces (including the door panels) and did them in a clean garage. FAR easier. Doing stuff in the car will undoubtedly get paint splatter on carpets and other surfaces and while it cleans up reasonably well (with water if wet, with xylene if dry) it's simpler to take everything off. I also recommend doing ALL the panels just in case there are subtle variations in color. Our cars are now getting 10-ish years old (some of them) and as such, there has been some change in color. The Viponds stuff is undoubtedly a perfect match for NEW interior panels or ones that haven't been discolored by time/sun fading, etc. As such, do them all and sleep easier.

Happy painting.

EDIT - Taking the interior apart isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds and it gives you an excuse to clean up all the years of crud, dead bugs, lost spare change and who-knows-what-else that's back there.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
13 Posts
I too am in the final stages or reassembaly of my freshly repainted interior (thanks to all the wisdom and advise from BenzWorld forums). It was a relitivly easy job to disassemble. The only issue I ran into was that over time some of the plastic had gotten brittle with some tabs and mounting points breaking. Fourtunatly I was able to use JB Weld and reconstruct and/or mend the broken pieces. Other than that the job went somewhat smooth.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.