Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes S55
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 2001 S55, 70K miles, I have this annoying vibration that I get upon take off, all the way until I am passed 45 mph or so. I recently changed my tires, michelins, balanced them, and got an alignment at the dealer. I changed my front rotors and brakes, rear shoes. I asked 3 people where they think it is coming from: None knows. One guy was able to notice the vibration I am feeling. He checked drive shaft play, mounts, engine and transmission mounts, NONE, everything looks Ok. It is not a shaking as one you get in a steering wheel. Is it possible one of the wheels is bent? Is it possible a transmission issue?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,977 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes S55
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, am going to the place where I put new tires and ask them to rebalance them all. They should do it for free. Also, can they tell if a wheel is bent? Firestone checked driveshaft, mounts and all, said everything is good. Not sure ,,,,,,,,

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,977 Posts
The tire shop can tell if a wheel is bent. A wheel that is bent side-to-side will wobble, and cause the tire tread to wobble as well. This is called "runout" and either the wheel or the tire can be the cause. All one must do to detect runout is watch the tread while the tire is spinning on the balancing machine and see if it tracks straight or moves side to side.

The wheel could also be bent inward from round, or the tire could have a "high" spot. This too and be seen by observing it in the balancing machine. With new Michelins, it is unlikely you have a high (or low) spot due to the tire itself.

Very few cars use flex discs. Most use universal joints, or (like Audi) CV joints in the drive shaft. Finding a mechanic familiar with MB driveshafts would be a highly hit-or-miss proposition. If working with the tires and wheels doesn't solve the problems completely, than I suggest having a certified MB independent or a dealership take a look at it.

"Road force" balancing is a far more sophisticated method of dynamic balancing of a tire. The simplest balancing is simple gravity, or "bubble balancing" - weights are added to the wheel and tire until it is "level" when placed on a pivot (a bubble of air centers in a circle mounted on the center of the wheel). This does nothing to account for differences in the forces experienced when the tire is "spun up" to highway speeds, and is useless at speeds above 45 mph. No good tire shop uses this type of balancing any more.

So, there is "dynamic balancing" where the tire is spun up, and vertical movement of the wheel and tire are countered by weights, at highway speeds. It's a huge improvement, but does nothing to counter lateral (side-to-side) imbalance, or "pull" caused by tire tread wear or differences.

"Road Force" balancing adresses all of these problems - vertical and lateral forces at highway speeds, tire tread "pull" and so forth. Placement of the weights is determined not only for position around the wheel, but laterally, left-to-right within the wheel. You can see a demonstration of this in a Hunter video advertising its road force balancer at Hunter GSP9700 Wheel Vibration Control System - it will show you more than you probably wanted to know.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes S55
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just called the place that put on my tires, and asked them if they have the hunters machines and whether they do road balance, he said what kind of tires, I said I purchased new tires from you guys and he said well that's done for sure, that is the force road balancing, so that is out of the question I guess. Will check on bent wheels or flex joint problems. Will keep you updated. I am just scared that If I go to the MB dealer he will charge me an arm and a leg and bring out a list of things that usually has nothing to do with what my problem is, like oh you need a new filter lol.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
So on my 2001 S55, 70K miles, I have this annoying vibration that I get upon take off, all the way until I am passed 45 mph or so. I recently changed my tires, michelins, balanced them, and got an alignment at the dealer. I changed my front rotors and brakes, rear shoes. I asked 3 people where they think it is coming from: None knows. One guy was able to notice the vibration I am feeling. He checked drive shaft play, mounts, engine and transmission mounts, NONE, everything looks Ok. It is not a shaking as one you get in a steering wheel. Is it possible one of the wheels is bent? Is it possible a transmission issue?
To clarify, let’s start at the beginning. Did you have the vibration before you changed the tires and the brakes?

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes S55
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I took it to my local MB today. After 4 hours he came out and said that the rear transmission mount needs to be replaced, that the engine is possibly sitting up and the trans down, and that causing the vibration. I forgot to add a little detail yesterday. I almost feel the vibration every time I down-kick. So, he wants to charge me $260 for parts, labor, and diagnosis. I set an appointment for monday morning. How do I know that this will solve the problem? You know dealers are, oh well there might be another problem..... Is the price reasonable?

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Yes I did.
If the vibration existed before the tires and brakes were replaced, then it most likely is not the the new tires or brakes. (though it could, it would be most unlikely)

As to the dealer diagnosis and charge: it sounds plausible, and the charge does not seem that bad, just dont pay the bill until you know that the vibration is gone.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes S55
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, so if the vibration isn't gone what I do take off? lol. I will tell him do you gurantee the vibration will be gone? If he says yes then do it. They won't let me drive it before paying I am sure. Or maybe they will cause I am a lady lol.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
So I took it to my local MB today. After 4 hours he came out and said that the rear transmission mount needs to be replaced, that the engine is possibly sitting up and the trans down, and that causing the vibration. I forgot to add a little detail yesterday. I almost feel the vibration every time I down-kick. So, he wants to charge me $260 for parts, labor, and diagnosis. I set an appointment for monday morning. How do I know that this will solve the problem? You know dealers are, oh well there might be another problem..... Is the price reasonable?
dealers have the best MB mechanics you can get, obviously they mostly work on MB's. a tire shop would notice a bent wheel, and you have to hit something pretty hard to bend a wheel, noticeably hard. Ask them to check the flex discs, they will probably tell you they did. if it doesn't tell them to take the $260 off the bill for the real problem.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes S55
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW Big difference! I had this problem from 3 months ago and never bothered to check it out. Way smoother than before after the mount was replaced. Ended up paying $55 for diagnosis, and $170 for parts and labor.

I am interested at having the plugs changed. Is it really 16 plugs? Dealer must item? Any particular type you guys suggest? And is it a big deal replacing them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts