Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes E320 W210 111 year 2000
9 Posts
The compressor wiring from the climate controller module ( the module with the display in your center dash) first goes to the relay module at the passenger side under the hood (where fuse 20 is), and is cross connected there and then goes to the compressor. In other words, it is not a direct wiring. So the wooden block on the relay module is to press on a a loose and maybe corroded connector that goes to the relay module which kept the connection going. So any bump loosened the connector disconnecting he compressor wiring. You need to take a close look at the connectors to the relay module (maybe a mechanic can do it for you) and make sure there are no corroded connector (usually due to water intrusion from the channel between the hood and the fender especially if the module lid is not properly installed. The same story with fuse 20 which should be 30 amps anyway.

The fuse 20 may be blown. Visually check it and measure power on both sides of the fuse (the tabs on each side). The fan is not powered by fuse 20. This fuse powers the fan control module which then powers the fan with different duty cycles (pulsed) to control speed. The fan may have power on it but not ground. Else it would have worked, right ? The power may be coming from some other power source that goes to the control module (only when the key is in position 2 (run). You need to make sure that fuse 20 is powered and not blown. Then you can take the next steps.

Make sure that the compressor is well grounded.
You were correct about this there was corrosion on the larger fuses and relays.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, there is a ground wire from the coil that goes and bolts to the compressor (see the picture at the top of the compressor with a Phillips-head bolt grounded wire).. If removed, or loose, there will be no current flowing, and you will have the 419 code. The compressor itself is grounded by its body bolted to the metalwork. View attachment 2639437
Yes, now I get it the light bulb in my head has heated up. Thanks you guys!!! I like to know the ending so I will give you my outcome within the next week.
IIRC B1419 means open circuit at the clutch. Can you spin the face of the compressor by hand? If not, the clutch circuit probably blew because the compressor is seized. I don’t think there’s a practical way to reset the clutch.

mrboca, I think it’s a 30A fuse for aux fans ahead of the condenser. It’s a 50A fuse for single fan behind the radiator as in ‘00 E320.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
Yes I can spin the clutch on my e320 by hand easily both ways. Its not rusted or looking bad and there is still a gap or standard gap on the clutch. When I move it by hand it doesn't sound like the bearings are bad. The face of it doesn't pull out its solid. Lastly, at time of death it never mad any crazy noise like it was going to die or dying and no oil leaking out of the compressor. But yes there was bad wires and frustrating room for play. I will remove the compressor and rebuild it and add a new clutch which will provide solid new ground and wires. I will also check the fuses and measure ohms. Give me a week and i will update.
The compressor wiring from the climate controller module ( the module with the display in your center dash) first goes to the relay module at the passenger side under the hood (where fuse 20 is), and is cross connected there and then goes to the compressor. In other words, it is not a direct wiring. So the wooden block on the relay module is to press on a a loose and maybe corroded connector that goes to the relay module which kept the connection going. So any bump loosened the connector disconnecting he compressor wiring. You need to take a close look at the connectors to the relay module (maybe a mechanic can do it for you) and make sure there are no corroded connector (usually due to water intrusion from the channel between the hood and the fender especially if the module lid is not properly installed. The same story with fuse 20 which should be 30 amps anyway.

The fuse 20 may be blown. Visually check it and measure power on both sides of the fuse (the tabs on each side). The fan is not powered by fuse 20. This fuse powers the fan control module which then powers the fan with different duty cycles (pulsed) to control speed. The fan may have power on it but not ground. Else it would have workedI right ? The power may be coming from some other power source that goes to the control module (only when the key is in position 2 (run). You need to make sure that fuse 20 is powered and not blown. Then you can take the next steps.

Make sure that the compressor is well grounded.
ok I will turn the car on and check fuse 20. When the engine gets to temp I know the fan doesn't kick on but i will measure. Fuse 20 didn't have corrosion but others did what it did have was (im guessing) yellowish blue like maybe high heat marks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes I can spin the clutch on my e320 by hand easily both ways. Its not rusted or looking bad and there is still a gap or standard gap on the clutch. When I move it by hand it doesn't sound like the bearings are bad. The face of it doesn't pull out its solid.

At time of compressors death it never made any crazy noise like it was going to die or dying. No oil leaking out of the compressor but really bad fitting on the connection so I replaced and rewired but this did nothing. When I tried to add freon the can said see mechanic (it did).

I will add a new clutch to the compressor (this adds new wires and ground). I will also check the fuses and measure v/ohms. Give me a week and i will update. Thanks you guys big help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For W210 cars, there is no such thing as a "conventional" compressor clutch relay. The clutch is controlled by the climate controller, and a relay function (solid state switch) is inside the controller. The clutch is not turned on and off to regulate the cabin temperature, but it is constantly turned on, whenever the a/c is turned on.

I asked the model and model year of the car, to make sure we talk about the correct climate contrl system.
e320 base sedan w210 with a 111

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,903 Posts
e320 base sedan w210 with a 111
You mean M112 ? M111 is a 4 cylinder engine. E320 for year 2000 has M112 engine.

In any case, why not just measure the resistance between the black connector of the compressor and chassis ground? It should read few ohms or so, i.e., not an open circuit. If you have a hard 419 code, it is either the compressor / ground wiring, or the clutch coil (or its in-line fuse). It should take 5 minutes without even removal of the compressor. If open circuit, then, you can check the wiring first for the coil as it is probably degraded.

Attached shows what can happen to the compressor wiring over time.
Photo DI'M'- A/C Clutch Coil R/R

41 - 45 of 45 Posts