Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed on pictures that the w140 DOES NOT have a handbrake? You need to use "P"? What the... I was just off to the dealership to buy one, but whats sup with the handbrake, or is it hidden somewhere? I hope it is hidden. Anyone?

Thanks.
-Zonet.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
... and you press a "hand brake" by your left leg; the lever is at the car's side, left of brake pedal (for vehicles with steering wheel on left side).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Actually, the correct term is "emergency brake" and although most cars use the most common known "hand brake" between the two front seats (very cheap, ugly and again: common), the W140 like most M.Bs did at the time, use a foot operated emergency brake.

Some people complain that the foot operated emergency brake is difficult to use in case of a steep heel start up with a manual transmission, but since over 96% of W140s came with automatics anyway, there is really no problem.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
140s with a manual transmission? do they exist?

sorry for the hijack.

I know a person who bought directly from the factory a new S350 (or 320, do not know now) with:

-manual transmission :crybaby2:
-without A/C :eek:
-diesel (also not sure, but that's in my mind) :surrender:

good laugh and best regards.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, thanks for all the replies, but just to ask, how does it really work? Does it work the same way a hand brake will? You step on it and it locks the tires right? And also, lets say the "ebrake" was down when I parked it (do you need to? Or is "P" gear enough?) how do you release it if your on a hill? Rev up the engine and then release?

I've never owned an automatic, so I'm kinda of a noob on this subject.

Thanks
-Zonet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Seems like this should be addressed in the Driving 101 forum :). Per the owner's manual, it is called a parking brake and it is not intended as an emergency brake as locking up both rear wheels is not a safe way to avoid an accident!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
OK, my troll detector is going off. Stand back everyone!!

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Emergency brake? I can imagine causing an emergency by using it on the highway!
Handbrake - make sense since its usually activated by hand
Parking-brake - Thats what its used for therefore the (P)!

Ooh come on enough with the fooling around!

Zonet - Its voice activated!

I remember the first time my wife used the car, it was parked on a steep incline when I got to it without the PARKING Brake applied.
I questioned her about it and she told me no way she did apply it, she specifically remember pulling the knob with the (P) to activate it!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You step on it and it locks the tires right? And also, lets say the "ebrake" was down when I parked it (do you need to? Or is "P" gear enough?) how do you release it if your on a hill? Rev up the engine and then release?
Far different from a manual tranny that has you rolling backwards on an incline if youre inexperienced :p

In fact, you dont even have to rev the engine in a manual to prevent from rolling backwards if youre doing it right =/

Basically, you depress the brake pedal, release the parking brake, release your foot from the brake pedal, and press the gas pedal to start moving.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Far different from a manual tranny that has you rolling backwards on an incline if youre inexperienced :p

In fact, you dont even have to rev the engine in a manual to prevent from rolling backwards if youre doing it right =/

Basically, you depress the brake pedal, release the parking brake, release your foot from the brake pedal, and press the gas pedal to start moving.
Why thank you! someone that didn't take the piss :) thank you!

Everyone learns one way or another, I've always driven a Manual, and never ever been in an automatic before, let alone knowing how to operate the "voice activated" "footbrake" :) (humor.)

It was strange at first sight when I never noticed the "hand brake" so I thought I'll ask where it is, and how to use it... pfft.

Thanks Fu3lFr3nzy!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
No problem.

On all the automatics i've driven, I never really tried letting go of the brake and gas on an incline long enough to see if it'll roll backwards, but I believe it wont.

I can definitely understand the frustrations of some of the veteran users here, because we've seen plenty of people come and go asking the same darn thing every few months so, and quite frankly theyre tired of it.

At the same time, I know whats its like being a newbie and not getting answers back then(and to some extent, even today) so I try to help out users as much as possible so they can enjoy these cars as much as the rest of us.

The W140 must live on the roads as long as possible, so if it means doing a five minute google search to help out a potential owner, ill do my contribution :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts