Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,841 Posts
pressalire, your request for help comes across as a demand, no please or thank you, in fact it borders on being plain rude.

Also, if you want any help in the future I would suggest you fill up your user profile with the model of your car and your location.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
From his behavior he is most likely young and spoiled, excuse him only two posts he will learn.....
That is if he fills up his avatar so we know, who, where, what. ;) Haha.

Regards,
aam.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
People have many ways of looking at things and sometimes they aren't what it appears. I feel unnatural, dishonest, "begging," and maybe insulting, if I were to speak in a manner to present an image that's just not me.

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
Interesting subject however as I too have been looking for the fuel "FILTER" which AllDataDIY indicates is under a plastic cover rearward of the tranny compartment and slightly behind the passenger seat beneath the car.

Since it involves removing, clamping fuel lines - and could be messy without a lift, I will leave that for mechanic.

My gas tank may have some early stages of corrosion judging from fuel cap rust and Mech. stated filter, accumulator, etc. should be changed. Not a DIY project I wish to tackle due to location.

Hopefully I was respectful. :)

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Interesting subject however as I too have been looking for the fuel "FILTER" which AllDataDIY indicates is under a plastic cover rearward of the tranny compartment and slightly behind the passenger seat beneath the car.

Since it involves removing, clamping fuel lines - and could be messy without a lift, I will leave that for mechanic.

My gas tank may have some early stages of corrosion judging from fuel cap rust and Mech. stated filter, accumulator, etc. should be changed. Not a DIY project I wish to tackle due to location.

Hopefully I was respectful. :)
I found mine because I had a fuel leak there once and had to fix it. It all looks real easy there to me but tube fittings etc. is a big part of my job anyway. Yes , I dont see how you could work in that area without having it up and I sure hate to hear people talking about jack stands and car ramps with these low and extremely heavy cars. I built a ramp for the whole car using heavy I-beams.

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
Jack Stands - Lifts

I found mine because I had a fuel leak there once and had to fix it. It all looks real easy there to me but tube fittings etc. is a big part of my job anyway. Yes , I dont see how you could work in that area without having it up and I sure hate to hear people talking about jack stands and car ramps with these low and extremely heavy cars. I built a ramp for the whole car using heavy I-beams.
Hi - Might you have an image of that I-beam lift? I saw one on the threads using welded plumber's pipe but not I-beam - f.r.

I too was very hesitant to work under a 4,600 lb car that can crush me in 1 sec with just jack stands. It took a week of it sitting on the stands - before I got the nerve up.

·
Administrator
8,841 Posts
Jack stands...Ramps

When I had my blown steering hose with my UK SL500, I bought a pair of car ramps, however I had to take them back for a refund, the car was so low that the tyres didn't get anywhere near the ramps, the front bumper just kept nudging them further away.

Here at home (Spain), before the inspection pit was built I used to run our cars up heavy timber planks with concrete blocks at the high end.

Apologies to the OP for hi-jacking his thread :rolleyes:

There are at least two threads on fuel pumps with detailed drawings BTW

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Hmmmmm?

Replacing a pump or a fuel filter is a job for the mechanic?
Com-on guys I am disappointed. :(

But again there is a lot of other easy things that I can't do.

Hey Joe,
I can hold a wet towel on the hook.
Having trouble with the five gallon container... :(
Does that mean is Snu Snu time?

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
pressalire, your request for help comes across as a demand, no please or thank you, in fact it borders on being plain rude.

Also, if you want any help in the future I would suggest you fill up your user profile with the model of your car and your location.
Seems like a simple question to me. How can it possibly be interpreted "as a demand"?

·
Registered
735 Posts
From his behavior he is most likely young and spoiled, excuse him only two posts he will learn.....
That is if he fills up his avatar so we know, who, where, what. ;) Haha.

Regards,
aam.
How dd you discern a "behavior" pattern from that seemingly clear & concise query?

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Hi - Might you have an image of that I-beam lift? I saw one on the threads using welded plumber's pipe but not I-beam - f.r.

I too was very hesitant to work under a 4,600 lb car that can crush me in 1 sec with just jack stands. It took a week of it sitting on the stands - before I got the nerve up.
No, its just a ramp to drive up on. I lost my HD which had the drawings but its basically two 13.5' X 16" X 8" X 1/2". Right now they are on 3'X3' concrete piers but I intend to place short I beams at each side as legs, cross braced and with wheels so I can move it around. The beams probably weigh 400# each. I intend to center the "middle leg I beams" so it wil rock up when you reach the end so the whole car is up. The back legs will pivot so they can be set down when the ramp is up. Shaped like a horizontal, upside down "E" from side view when its up. "F" when its down.
Before, I used several 12-14" peices of RR tie instead of jackstands.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Please and thankyou will go a long way.
With some thought, one might could work in a "please" someway, but it wasn't yet time to say "thank you".

I suppose "What time is it?" is politically incorrect in these troubled times.
Even so, there should be some merit in the fact that such questions are fairly easy to understand.

·
Administrator
8,841 Posts
Seemed like he just asked, but maybe I missed something.
Well, we all missed the polite, 'Thanks' part of the post.

As that dictionary definition of demand stated, 'brusque' came across rather strongly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts