Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SL500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searches and several said to follow the SRS DIY thread but I can't locate that area.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
2003 SL500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm aware of that. I want to find the DIY area first to do the fixes first, like trying to check the electrical connection in the harness under the passenger seat...

While feeling under the passenger seat, the wires seem to be caught because the two wires I can feel are way too tight to pull them out far enough toward the front to check them.

Anyone know the proper procedure on how to remove the passenger seat?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I posted a SRS light problem about a month ago. It is about 8 threads below this one and is labeled "SRS light delayed turnoff" Most of the suggestions regarding the problem centered on the seat belt sensor or the seat belt tensioner. I checked both and found no abnormalities. Finally had the dealer (MB) fix it. It took 2 days and turned out to be a broken SRS harness wire. I have no idea how the analysis went for the trouble shooting strategy. It was free for me because the original selling dealer (not a MB dealer) picked up the tab as the vehicle came with a delayed SRS turnoff. At first it turned off in 10 minutes and stayed off for the rest of the day. Then the turn off period got longer and longer till this month when it didn't turn off in 1 1/2 hours of driving. The MB tech also informed me that the air bags would not deploy during this period so it was a safety issue which worried me. Good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem I have with the whole thing is even if you were able to fix the short somehow, you wouldn't know it until you had the system cleared by STAR.

Sounds like Mercedes purposely built some fat profit features into their business model to me...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interestingly enough when the light went off there were no error codes. When I brought it to the MB dealer in Oct the light went off after about 10 minutes and left no error code for the STAR system to detect. This time (last week) the light stayed on and the dealer was able to read an error code and act accordingly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts