Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody!
I need to get the DAS or AAM part # of my 1997 E420; Can anyone tell me where to look for it in the car?. Does anybody know the DAS part number?.
Thanks for the help.
Garvin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Witek M, you guys are like gods; you grant wishes and make MB miracles happen every time you respond to questions from those seeking answers and solace from MB dealers who seems to be hell bent on putting you in the poor house for daring to own MB vehicles.
To your question; The remote part of key to the car I shipped to my mum abroad got damaged, now the engine cranks but won`t start. Dealers here say because the car left the country they can`t help with new key and the mb dealers abroad are asking for $1,800.00 equivalent, so I am working on the notion that if I can get a used key, DAS box and ECU (I assume these 3 are synched together) from one and same car to replace mine it could maybe work.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,755 Posts
How was it determined that DAS/key is a problem?

You have started one thread on this issue. Why not continue in original thread.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
I can imagine the remote being crushed, but the ignition chip is like 1mmx3 mm part inside. That seems almost impossible to damage inside the remote housing?
From what I remember about the system, the red and green lights on the mirror flash to tell you if something is wrong with DAS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Witek M, I was adviced to repost in W210 E class forum where I am likely to get more helpful answers. The key is definitly the problem. the ignition chip is not on the key blade but inside the remote which in my case is no longer there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kajtek1, thanks for your reply. The remote housing is still there but the electronic board inside is gone, I wish I was there but all I know is what the mechanic tells me on the phone. you said chip is in the housing, do you mean in the plastic housing or electronic board inside it. DAS is okay but since I don`t want to pay dealer $1800.00 price to programme new key for my DAS that is why I want to try a used DAS with corresponding key and ECU from another salvage car.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Thanks Witek M, you guys are like gods; you grant wishes and make MB miracles happen every time you respond to questions from those seeking answers and solace from MB dealers who seems to be hell bent on putting you in the poor house for daring to own MB vehicles.
To your question; The remote part of key to the car I shipped to my mum abroad got damaged, now the engine cranks but won`t start. Dealers here say because the car left the country they can`t help with new key and the mb dealers abroad are asking for $1,800.00 equivalent, so I am working on the notion that if I can get a used key, DAS box and ECU (I assume these 3 are synched together) from one and same car to replace mine it could maybe work.
Something aint Kosher!!----"you said the engine cranks"----If you had a DAS issue the engine would not crank because you would not be able to turn the key(to get to the acknowledgement stage) that the key is correct and the system is secure and able to turn the key to the next position.

If you damaged the larger board----that has nothing to do with starting.

What's the real story???

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
correct, the red light on the mirror is the indicator for the DAS module. If you are consistently getting a flashing red light it is a DAS fault which can be read by the SDS diagnostic tool. verify the fault before digging into the cluster.

regards.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,755 Posts
Something aint Kosher!!----"you said the engine cranks"----If you had a DAS issue the engine would not crank because you would not be able to turn the key(to get to the acknowledgement stage) that the key is correct and the system is secure and able to turn the key to the next position.

If you damaged the larger board----that has nothing to do with starting.

What's the real story???
This is '97 E420 with mechanical steering lock not EIS/ESL. Just a note.

·
Registered
1997 c36 amg and a 1996 c280
393 Posts
Basically get a cheap 202 same model as urs and take the key das and ecu and swop I'm going to have to do that to my car since the idiots who were rewiring my car blown the ecu and rewired everything wrong

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,260 Posts
just pay for a new non remote key. You know, the kind of a key you used in a car before remotes came along!.

For my 97 E420, the non IR remote key is only about $20. buy one and ship it over. If that doesn't work then something else is going on.

and on a 97 E420, a key w/o the chip will turn to ignition position #2 and let the engine crank. been there, done that. at times it will even start, but as soon as you release the key from the cranking position, the engine will quite.

·
Registered
1997 c36 amg and a 1996 c280
393 Posts
But u need the das and ecu and key as the key sends a certain code to the das and then to the ecu which is supposedly married to the car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts