Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the location of the cruise control amp in the engine compartment an '85 500SL (euro)? Should be the same as an '85 380SL. So any 1982-85 SL...

Just curious. I don't have an engine diagram handy, and wanted to see if replacing my cruise control amp would fix my long non-operative cruise control without paying big $$$. :)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Does anyone know the location of the cruise control amp in the engine compartment an '85 500SL (euro)? Should be the same as an '85 380SL. So any 1982-85 SL...

Just curious. I don't have an engine diagram handy, and wanted to see if replacing my cruise control amp would fix my long non-operative cruise control without paying big $$$. :)

Thanks in advance.
1. It's probably under the drivers side of the dashboard. Although you can see it it's VERY difficult to remove one of the screws of a bracket that holds it.

2. Most of the time, replacement will "fix" it. But, not all cruise controls are the same. Before 1986 or so, there were different part numbers with different trim resistors put on the circuit board inside to tailor the operation of the cruise control for the power/weight/trans/rear end of the car. After 1986 or so, they went to an system with a cruise control module with a programming plug that contained the proper trim resistors, the plug assigned to the car and its power train combination. So, the 380SL's amp may work, but it may not work well or even safely. My $02, you aren't likely to find one used, I'd remove it and get it repaired. There are places Googleable that do this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts