Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ML350 & 2009 E350
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds like a simple question, but I've searched and searched and can't find it anywhere (online or on my ML)
Isee something labeled OBD under my steering column but I don't see any 38 pin connector.
Thought it should be under the hood - can't seem to find it.

2004 ML 350

I wanted to pick up carsoft 7.4 w/multiplex and was told this connector gives MORE information....

Any help!!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Carsoft with the multiplexer and an old laptop with a dedicated serial port is the next best thing to SDS, for thousands less (even including the cost of an old laptop!!).

The diag port is under a plastic cover near the fuse block under the hood. It's pretty obvious once you pop the cover.

·
Registered
2004 ML350 & 2009 E350
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've opened the fuse box, only fuses visible.
There is another plastic cover right next to the fuse box closer to the windshield but it states somthing about A/C and looks complicated to open.
Other than that I don't see any plastic covers near or around my fuse box under the hood.
Is it an actual round plastic cover? How does it look?

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,831 Posts
Serial ports were discontinued from laptops a decade ago. Only the desktops have serial port and it is not easy fitting a PC to the passenger seat. And it's almost pure luck if one gets aftermarket carsoft 7.4 to work. Let us know about your experience.

·
Registered
2004 ML350 & 2009 E350
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The serial port is not my issue. I have a Dell laptop with a serial port, no worries. My concern is finding this 38 pin connector? If I can't find it, I can't do anything....
I've opened up the plastic cover behind the fuse box as well and I see nothing but a bunch of wires (very electrical looking) but I don't see any 38 pin connector?
Does my ML actually have one?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,299 Posts
Correct, the SDS connects via the OBD II port. Although there are only 16 pins the MB SDS
systems use a cable that has the 38 pins at the other end and the functions are controlled
via the multiplexer. MB has the 16 pins doing multiple functions on certain ODB II pins and
that way they can get all the MB proprietary data from the ODB II.

·
Registered
2004 ML350 & 2009 E350
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm trying to read my ABS/ETS/BAS codes - these lights are always lit up constantly. I was told that carsoft 7.4 multiplex would work but I thought I needed the 38pin connector? I see the OBD plastic cover under my cockpit - is this connection what I need to read these ABS codes - will it work with carsoft 7.4 OBD connector I guess?

·
Registered
2004 ML350 & 2009 E350
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently my 04 ML350 doesn't have a brake light switch.

I'm trying to figure out if I hook up carsoft 7.4 with multiplex to this OBD connector under my dash, can it (will it) read ABS related codes as well as the regular codes??

·
Registered
2004 ML350 & 2009 E350
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please, can anyone help me out.....I need to know if Carsoft 7.4 with multiplex will read ABS related codes from the OBD connector under my steering column? I don't see a 38 pin connector on my car but I need to address my ABS/BAS/ETS lights constantly on my dash and need to know if this carsoft will do it...anyone? Bueler?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.