Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Mercedes e350, 09 Mercedes GL450, 95 BMW 325IC, 89 Mercedes 260E, 84 Euro Mercedes 300D 4spd
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to know where is Fuel gauge sensor or fuel float located in 2000 S500,

i have error code P0460 and my fuel gauge is not forking at all it is at "E"

i would like know if some one did this job and could give me some advice how to get

to it, and if there is any tricks,

thank you

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
lol i know it is in the fuel tank + it is on the top of it ,:)
but the question is how to get to it or from where?
remove the rear seat. or pull the cover in the boot.once you looking in the boot- and thinking you seing the back of the rear seat- thats your fuel tank :) just remove the covering and its there. now try moving the cables lightly- and you get your gauge to show thats left in the tank. but after a while it will get back to zero-nil readng..i m in the same boat- the gauge not showing- or showing rarely. lasy bitch..

i dont have the solution, but if you find it-let me know :)

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
remove the rear seat. or pull the cover in the boot.once you looking in the boot- and thinking you seing the back of the rear seat- thats your fuel tank :) just remove the covering and its there. now try moving the cables lightly- and you get your gauge to show thats left in the tank. but after a while it will get back to zero-nil readng..i m in the same boat- the gauge not showing- or showing rarely. lasy bitch..

i dont have the solution, but if you find it-let me know :)
koro4e po4inish- raskazhi :)

·
Registered
10 Mercedes e350, 09 Mercedes GL450, 95 BMW 325IC, 89 Mercedes 260E, 84 Euro Mercedes 300D 4spd
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
koro4e po4inish- raskazhi :)
I will I hope after replacing sending unit it will work again,
Where is easier to get to from trunk or the back seat?

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
I will I hope after replacing sending unit it will work again,
Where is easier to get to from trunk or the back seat?
cannot tell. i was looking for my sound cable, thats how I get there. which one is the float/sender I donk know. therefore not sure thats teh easiest way to get .

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
Right side of the trunk, you have to remove some carpeting above the battery. You will see a electrical plug on the fuel tank, then unscrew the bayonet lock and pull out the sensor.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i still have code p0460,

after installing new fuel float sending unit,

still my fuel gage not working not even moving at all it is just dead,

what else could be wrong?

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
my guess it will be the broken cable somethere. good i m not changed the float...if that makes no diference.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it on E or reserve with light on or does not even move up at all?
no E light on, it is at the buttom, just dead,
doesn't move at all, i have 3/4 of the tank

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
So, what exactly did you do? You mentioned that the fuel indicator was at E at your first post. After saying that you have replaced the sensor, it is dead.
Now, you're saying you have not replaced the float.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, what exactly did you do? You mentioned that the fuel indicator was at E at your first post. After saying that you have replaced the sensor, it is dead.
Now, you're saying you have not replaced the float.
no it was always dead, i took it to the shop and was told it is code p0460,

and i need new sending unit, so after replacing with a new unit it is still dead as before,

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is what i notice today,

my car don't have rear turn signals,

no reverse lights no trunk lights, but i do have rear park lights on all the time even when i turn the light switch off,

so what i'm thinking sins i do not have power to the rear lights, the sending unit is in the back as well, a while ago i had no lights on my

w210 and it was light control module, and if i'm not mistaking it was under rear seat,

do you guys think that could be an answer to my fuel gauge?

and buy the way where is that light control module located and what it looks like in 00 S500

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes S55 AMG
719 Posts
I just bought a new sending unit. My guage will go to full, but not quite to full. It will then drop very quickly and at 50 miles it's at 3/4 tank. At 125~ miles it's at a quarter tank.. I have read the early sending units are faulty and the new ones are gold plated or something to correct the issue. My question is, it sounds like a super easy job if just removing the carpet near the battery is all it takes to expose. I have removed that many times, but how low does the tank have to be before gas starts gushing out if I remove this? Seeing as my guage isn't correct I guess I need to go off of mileage. Should I get it down to 3/4 tank, half a tank, 1/4 tank? Thanks!

·
Registered
94 E320 Sportline sedan 86 190E 2.3 16V sedan 04 S430 Sport
678 Posts
1/4 tank to be safe. and if your gauge is whacked then at about 250 miles if you use your tripometer to gauge your mileage... :)

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes S55 AMG
719 Posts
Thanks, I am nearing 250 miles.. have you done this job before? Any tips? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts