Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 E300D
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Haynes manual has a photo of what they called the speedometer cable and I removed it. It looks like an electrical sensor located on the driver side and in the front of the tranny. I have been reading that our cars use a mechanical cable so I don't believe I have disconnect the correct speedo cable.

I am having no lucking getting the instrument cluster out and something on the left speedo side is holding it in there.

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,480 Posts
Generally it will be at the back end where the guts of the transmission are finally turning at the same rate as the drive shaft, the rotations of which equate to a calculation of your rate of speed. If it were on the front end you would likely be measuring your RPM instead.

·
Registered
682 Posts
back left hand side as you lie lookin up with head to the back of the car.

·
Registered
'92 300E
78 Posts
I know you said you wern't having any luck but, are you just pulling your cluster out? or have you tried pushing?

By pushing I mean going under the panel and push from behind with your left hand and pulling out with a tool with your right. For it to come out, the application of force needs to be even on both sides or it will just get stuck. Mine was a stubborn and after a good 30 minutes of a pushing/pulling combination it came free. Didn't disconnect any cables till the cluster was out.

or am i just misinterpreting what the problem is :D

·
Registered
95 E300D
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you said you wern't having any luck but, are you just pulling your cluster out? or have you tried pushing?

By pushing I mean going under the panel and push from behind with your left hand and pulling out with a tool with your right. For it to come out, the application of force needs to be even on both sides or it will just get stuck. Mine was a stubborn and after a good 30 minutes of a pushing/pulling combination it came free. Didn't disconnect any cables till the cluster was out.

or am i just misinterpreting what the problem is :D
You got it! Thank's for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts