Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 270 2003
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to risk your licence or can you get on track days. Best place I've found is the German Autobaun, no speed limit in most areas. I was on a motorbike, not a great one, but sitting at about 120mph. I was in the way. Too many nik's in the states. Do all states have the same limits?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
No, some have the state speed limit of 55mph, most 65 I believe, and in some places it goes up to 70 or 75. I've only seen that in rural Michigan though. I lost my license because I got caught cruising at about 120 down an absolutely dead highway that I had never seen a cop on before. Luckily I slowed down enough before she could catch me on radar to avoid a reckless driving ticket... but I had a few too many beers apparently and got a driving under the influence charge. (I know, reckless, stupid, and irresponsible.)

You kind of just have to know where it's safe by using your instincts and reasoning skills. I've had plenty of times where I was able to cruise for miles and miles at over 100mph, but those days are over for me. This past 6 months without my driver's license has been horrible. And depending on where you are here in the states, if they catch you doing that, you could get even more severe charges than my DUI.

I hope to make it out to the Bonneville salt flats for speed week next year, but that's sort of a pipe dream. I don't think I would enjoy track days because my car just isn't that type, it's a high speed cruiser, not a drag car, and not great in the corners,(though for its size it is.) I definitely hope to make it overseas to do an autobahn tour within the next couple of years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts