Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Dunno, wonder if it has anything to do with DokaTD's signature? Did he do that or was it modified?
Had nothing to do with DokaTD's sig, he's had that sig forever (other than adding the image.)

I'm guessing it probably had more to do with being "OT". Sure it was cool and neat, but really didn't contribute anything to the forum, at least that's my guess. If there were more pictures on how he did it, I'm sure it would have been fine. For example, pictures of him cutting the tubes with a hole saw. Or pictures of him figuring out the angles to make the spider effect.

I thought the removable guard for the snorkle was a good idea though, that way you can remove it without removing the top too.

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I'm concerned, if it's got a project with a unimog attached to it, then it is relevant.

If going by the criteria that if you don't "show your work" then it's not something we can have in the forum? That's crap. A lot of people don't stop to take pictures while they're working.

Whatever. It's either winter cabin fever, or folks take themselves way too seriously.

I'm sure this whole thread will get deleted, so enjoy it while you can.

Attachments

·
Registered
Unimogs
861 Posts
If Mr. Couch removed the thread for his own reasons that is understandable. If the thread was removed because it didn't meet someones preconceived idea of what is valuable on this forum then there is definitely a problem.

A member posted up pictures and photo's of a unique project that they designed and created on a Mog. They used a rather cleaver modification of the factory snorkel system. They gave those that were interested, pictures of their creativity for someone to copy/modify/build upon.

If that is not what this forum is for then we have gone in the wrong direction......I didn't see anything wrong with Mr. Couch's post, can't say the same for some of the others (PC Edit) that chimed in....

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,978 Posts
For the record, I have no idea what happened to the post. But I can imagine pretty easily. My sig change has nothing to do with it either, just me having fun.

Bottom line, if you like it or not couch was asked multiple questions and never answered a single one. Maybe he needed more time, but he was sure able to post a lot of OT stuff about his business as his last post.

Maybe you guys are blinded by the pretty pics and can't see the lack of tech and the plethora of look at me and my business. Maybe you guys think I'm the bad guy. But these things are not my decision and in fact really aren't coaches decision either. It's the site policies and you will find these policies on the smallest of bulletin boards.

The thread could have been saved by mr couch if he had followed the vendor rules. Basically, if he had answered a few tech questions it might not have suffered it's fait. And once a thread is posted, only an administrator can delete it as far as I know. I don't even think coach has this power. Couch could not have deleted the thread himself.

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,184 Posts
I'm not sure what the "Rules" are for businesses posting pictures. I was very interested in the project as I have "modified" my roof from wheeling and want to build something to protect it. Jason's design had some application of what's been floating around in my melon for protection. I wanted to see more detail of the supports under the fenders and roof. I'm sure that if I call Jason or email him he'd just send some to me. Him posting on this forum would help many. I do really wonder why the negativity comes in piles from folks on these forums. From the pictures I've seen of K.C.'s work he has some serious skills. I do think that most of the responses tend to just be destructive not inquisitive. This opinion could be my being too sensitive....I'll check my estrogen levels.
Chas

·
Registered
1963 Swiss 404
181 Posts
I'm glad someone asked the question; I was wondering, yesterday, where the thread went, as I was particularly interested in the details of his snorkel's 'internal' filter.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,978 Posts
Chas an others.

My first post in the cage thread was relatively comical and light hearted. I even gave a good example of how Mr couch could have saved the thread by talking about his snorkel mod.

Nothing in my first post was mean, negative etc. Ok minus my "Nelson" Haha about poop pipe was a jab, but couch asked for it.

From there, I answerd a few questions. Then couch posted with zero tech and with little regard to some direct questions. So I called him on not answering a direct question, and answered it myself since I had the info bk saddler needed.

To all

You guys need to read each individual post more carefully and take in the meaning and direction of the posts before you get your panties all wadded up. Plus the sand in your vaginas is not helping.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'm glad someone asked the question; I was wondering, yesterday, where the thread went, as I was particularly interested in the details of his snorkel's 'internal' filter.
Sadly, I answered your question and it went with the rest of the thread. There is no internal filter. Nor does there need to be unless you are in a severely dusty climate with silt type sand.

The mod you saw was simply a tube with a cap ontop. Then you drill the back side of the tube with multiple .5" to .25" holes to allow your intake air to come in. I suggest a small row of similar holes in the front of the tube to equalize pressure at higher road speeds.

Any filter on the snorkel is going to further rob your engine of power for no good reason. The factory part for the 404 and the 1300 does not contain any filter media.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
I wanted to see more detail of the supports under the fenders and roof.
I don't think there was any support under the fenders and/or roof, it was just a brush guard. Probably could have gotten away with 1" pipe, but then I guess it wouldn't look as nice.

From the pictures of the top, it was just screwed to the roof from what I could tell.

·
Registered
Unimogs
861 Posts
K.C. no dis-respect as you and I go back a long way, but I would bet a pretty good wager that had YOU not posted into that thread it would still be here. You were the instigator that turned it to crap.

In addition from a guy that has Quasi-commercial interests (or did) within the community, it is not your place to "call out" a member. Would you have done the same thing if it were someone different that made that post? I don't know if you and Couch have past issues or not.....but you came across in the thread like you had a stone to grind.

Did anyone else have an issue with Couch's post? Maybe, I didn't see it. At the end of the day we have an "Idea" with photo's and some innovation, get flushed because people could not be civil. And that benefited the forum how?

I've said too much as it is. However, watching this thread makes me question my own posts and what is now considered acceptable. I assure you from a commercial standpoint, there is plenty of other things to be done with our time. How often are we seeing commercial entities post into the forum. Seems to be fewer and farther in between, and I can't imagine why?

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
1,563 Posts
Chas an others.

My first post in the cage thread was relatively comical and light hearted. I even gave a good example of how Mr couch could have saved the thread by talking about his snorkel mod.

Nothing in my first post was mean, negative etc. Ok minus my "Nelson" Haha about poop pipe was a jab, but couch asked for it.

From there, I answerd a few questions. Then couch posted with zero tech and with little regard to some direct questions. So I called him on not answering a direct question, and answered it myself since I had the info bk saddler needed.

To all

You guys need to read each individual post more carefully and take in the meaning and direction of the posts before you get your panties all wadded up. Plus the sand in your vaginas is not helping.
how dissapointing. i tried to read the thread but all i saw was you yaping about yourself. the word Douche is very fitting now.

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
* Do we have a registered vendor list?
* Do vendors pay to be on benzworld?
* What is the minimum bar that will force you to be a vendor?

Looking at the benzworld UI I see no clearly distinguishable link or notification that tells me the forum rules for a "vendor".

I'm not defending Couch, he does seem to share a lot of business on the forum. However, I would rather someone share what they're doing than to share nothing at all, which is the attitude that you are cultivating.

I will also note that most unimog oriented individuals who perform noteworthy projects are people who are in it for money. I would like to know what criteria were met for a message thread to be deleted. (what else has been deleted that we don't know about?)

Bottom line, if you like it or not couch was asked multiple questions and never answered a single one. Maybe he needed more time, but he was sure able to post a lot of OT stuff about his business as his last post.

Maybe you guys are blinded by the pretty pics and can't see the lack of tech and the plethora of look at me and my business. Maybe you guys think I'm the bad guy. But these things are not my decision and in fact really aren't coaches decision either. It's the site policies and you will find these policies on the smallest of bulletin boards.

The thread could have been saved by mr couch if he had followed the vendor rules. Basically, if he had answered a few tech questions it might not have suffered it's fait. And once a thread is posted, only an administrator can delete it as far as I know. I don't even think coach has this power. Couch could not have deleted the thread himself.

·
Registered
U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
1,563 Posts
so with trucktor away, did anyone save the pic? maybe Jason Couch could kindly post it up again.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
where did it go
most unimog oriented individuals who perform noteworthy projects are people who are in it for money. I would like to know what criteria were met for a message thread to be deleted. (what else has been deleted that we don't know about?)
No others have ever brought me to the point where the pimping forced me to delet something.

I removed it. We are rather lieniant in here on businesses posting promotional material compared to many forums. As a small biz owner myself.... I have great respect for our small biz vendors. They would not be in the biz if there was not a love in their for things Mog. That makes them part of us. Buttt... like everything there has to be a line. No matter where the line is... it will piss half the people off.

The tree cage thread

. it was NOT off topic
. Original Poster has a history of his thread's tone leaning toward promoting a business.
. Original Poster had been warned on this numerous times.
. Orginal Poster continued with same pattern.
. Original Poster has a bit more content on the board that is promotional to the business than what is contributory to our membership*.

A posters in the deleted thread came up with a good question that spawned a few good responces (ones about snorkles) has been PMed. The PM request he start a new thread about his questions so they can be answered and archived.

BTW- some suggestions offered to Mog business folk.

1. Your busy.. we all are! Mogs is what we love so post up advice when you can. That makes you one of us instead of creating the appearance we are just a potential customer and your in need of getting our attention.
2. Got something Mog cool/improvement or techy thing that is a product/service of yours that is cool enough to bring to the forum even if you were not offering the product or service at your biz, or got good information enough to brings to the forum.. even if you were not selling it/offering it as a service- Please do so and keep the thread less pimpy by posting about it in general. Feel free to "include" your version of the cool thing along side another that is similar as part of the discussion; yet not a thread that is "my product is better than X's version. This shows that your main point of the post/thread is the coolness in general and not that you are advertising your service/ product.

*As has been stated more than once...
In this forum a level of civilzed promoting of a Mog business is tolerated. Civilized is when the rep's of the business's post and threads lean more heavily toward assisting the membership than it does promoting. (Scratch our back we scratch your back)
. Yeah this is a judgment call, but IMHO it's a heck a lot better than how other forums deal with this.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Deleted because coach took care of it.

Scottt, Never any hard feelings. Your to nice of a guy to have ill will towards ;-)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts