Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
ML 350
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is asking for a spoiler that she has seen on other ml's. Does anyone know where to order one from.. Any help would be great..

Thanks

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
You can find it at www.for my mercedes.com or ebay for around 300 painted and shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7962836624&category=33638&sspagename=WDVW

·
Registered
ML 350
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just ordered it. Is this something I can install myself. It does not look that hard, however, I have yet to see the directions, and I am a bit concerned about the electrical part for the LED Brake-Light.

Do you recomend me going to MB directly or will they not even do it..

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
MYML350 - 3/31/2005 8:22 AM

I just ordered it. Is this something I can install myself. It does not look that hard, however, I have yet to see the directions, and I am a bit concerned about the electrical part for the LED Brake-Light.

Do you recomend me going to MB directly or will they not even do it..

Thanks
I took it to a shop not sure if they are national or not (cartoys) they did it for $150ish did an amazing job and used special hot sealant glue and guarenteed it, I called mercedes they will do it but they charge $120ish an hour to install I think it takes 2-3 hours to install, cartoys much cheaper, plus the OEM one mercedes sells doesnt have the LED brake light so mercedes will use up time trying to figure out how to wire it, I didnt do it myself because there is no way I could drill holes in my car, but if your comfortable it looks very easy to do

bocobod - 3/31/2005 4:45 PM

Love that spolier B-Hawk! Wish I had seen it before I had the OEM one installed [:(]
I love it to makes the ML very sporty, and I have the saftey of having at least one light turn on 250 milliseconds faster than the rest of my lights!

·
Registered
00 ML430,02 c230k co
151 Posts
Hey, I did it myself,how handy are you?Can you handle a drill?do you have self confidence?It's easy,get over the fact that you're drilling into your benz think of it as your saving 150 bucks and be proud of your accomplishment....You put masking tape on the tail gate where the spoiler is going to go,you screw 4 pointed pegs into the spoiler,use a level and press the spoiler with the pointed pegs onto the masking tape,that makes your marks to be drilled.drill 4 holes and run the wires and tapoff the 3rd brake light,if you get the light ..I did. your done,it really isn't as hard as it sounds....good luck[;)]

·
Registered
ML 350
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RE: MB say's cant install Spoiler w/ LED

Spoke with MB today,

They say they cant install Spoiler w/ LED using 3rd breaklight, because it messes with the eletcrical system.. IE. ABS etc. Now what.. Do you think I will have any problems? Should I just have it installed without the LED.. MB says its not a factory part... What the f...

Any help...

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
It does not mess with the electrical system at all

MYML350 - 4/14/2005 4:39 PM

Spoke with MB today,

They say they cant install Spoiler w/ LED using 3rd breaklight, because it messes with the eletcrical system.. IE. ABS etc. Now what.. Do you think I will have any problems? Should I just have it installed without the LED.. MB says its not a factory part... What the f...

Any help...
you just attach the black and red wires to the pos/neg wires that lead to the third brake light. You don't even need a load equalizer. I also have the LED third brake light and LED replacement bulbs for the brake lights. Again no load equalizers whatsoever and no effect on the electrical system for any of the three LED options I have installed.

Note: I do still have the regular oem tail light and turn signal bulbs, and reverse lights. I also added the oem side marker bulb that blinks with the turn signals. All brake light related rear lights are LED. I have front LED turn signals which DID require load equalizers.

Edit: They are correct in that the LEd wing is not a MB supplier part. The LEDs are made in Taiwan actually but it is simply a case of two wires that you run between the rear glass and cover panel. My dealer would not install it either but they did outsource the job to one of their body shop clients who did a great job and I had a loaner the whole time as well. Did you get the clear plastic lighting red LEDs or the red plastic cover like B-Hawk?

·
Registered
ML 350
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info.. Hmmm as far as a clear led or red led.. I think it is red... I will look when I get home.. Why is it a big difference.. Got this on ebay.. Came out really nice..

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
The only difference to me is just a personal preference of clear versus red. I thought the clear would accent the clear part of the tail lights but of course red would too. I like that I can see the LEDs and it's cool to me that they are clear but then light red.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts