Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys,

I am new to the forum and a new owner of a 2000 ML320 here in Hong Kong.

I have only owned the ML for a few weeks, but I just dont see what all the fuss is about with regards to build quality. So far, I am very happy with it - especially since it was so bloody cheap.

So my question is; are all ML made in the same place? Are US MLs made in the US? Would a Hong Kong ML be from Germany.

My other car is a 993 Porsche, which I wouldnt even begin to compare with the ML, however nothing on the Merc is failing mechanically (touch wood) so either I am lucky, or maybe the previous owner has already spent all the money to get it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,855 Posts
As far as I know all ML bodies are made in Alabama. Engines and transmissions are made in Germany.
Those cars are easier to track.
I used to own 1996 Volvo, that had stickers all over the World, but Sweden.
The only print on my Ford is "Made in Mexico" visible on the suspension.
The problem with quality might be, that Germans are famous for discipline and quality, while Americans Unions have tendency to think about weekend on Fridays and hangovers on Mondays.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
As far as I know all ML bodies are made in Alabama. Engines and transmissions are made in Germany.
Those cars are easier to track.
I used to own 1996 Volvo, that had stickers all over the World, but Sweden.
The only print on my Ford is "Made in Mexico" visible on the suspension.
The problem with quality might be, that Germans are famous for discipline and quality, while Americans Unions have tendency to think about weekend on Fridays and hangovers on Mondays.
are you sure they build all bodies in the U.S? i would say the transportation cost over Atlantics would be enormous in this case since i guess there are still more MLs here in Europe than in America

·
Registered
ML 230 The real Benz World Junior, GMC Sierra 400hp Nitro, Opel Commodore B Coupe 1001hp.
132 Posts
The auto industry has becomed anything but national pride. Economy decides it all.
I guess the reason for placing the ML plant in the US is demand. They knew all along that this truck would sell in the US.

The quality issue with Mercedes can`t be blamed on geographic lokation of the plants, but the fact that Mercedes has taken out an aditional three billion dollars in profit, ANUALY!!
One third of this money will be returned to fabrication to assure increased quality on the products they make. So they say...

·
Registered
'11 C300
423 Posts
mtrain said:
hi guys,

I am new to the forum and a new owner of a 2000 ML320 here in Hong Kong.

So my question is; are all ML made in the same place? Are US MLs made in the US? Would a Hong Kong ML be from Germany.
From the first introduction of the ML all ML's are assembled in Vance, Alabama, USA

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
ABenzGuy said:
From the first introduction of the ML all ML's are assembled in Vance, Alabama, USA
I remember reading that a small percentage of them were built Europe somewhere. I believe there are some members here with a Europe built ML.

·
Registered
37,855 Posts
"built" doesn't mean much those days. No matter what brand of the car, you have 99.9 % chance the computers are built in Taiwan.
ML in Europe are very rare. I see more of them in my village in one day, than I've seen in 5 weeks traveling 8000 miles in Europe.
Than this is the final assembly that makes final quality.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
CAHEK said:
are you sure they build all bodies in the U.S? i would say the transportation cost over Atlantics would be enormous in this case since i guess there are still more MLs here in Europe than in America

nope - more ML's are sold in the US than in all other regions.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,455 Posts
ABenzGuy said:
asianml is correct:

For a three-year period, beginning in 1999 and ending in 2002, M-Class vehicles were produced at Magna-Steyr, a supplemental plant in Graz, Austria, to meet worldwide demand for the product, particularly in Europe. The Graz plant enabled an additional 26,000 vehicles annually to be built, for a peak worldwide M-Class production of approximately 106,000 units.​

http://www.mbusi.com/pages/corporate_history.asp

mtrain said:
Would a Hong Kong ML be from Germany?
You can determine where your ML was born from the VIN. After WDC1631540... if the next letter is A, it was made in Alabama, USA.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
roadsession said:
nope - more ML's are sold in the US than in all other regions.
There are probably more Mercedes period (all models), in Southern California than any other part of the world...

·
Registered
2001 ML320 W/ D2 Nav and XM Traffic, 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3
103 Posts
The reason ML's are assembled in the US is the tariffs the US Government places on importing trucks and SUV's. MB figured the only way they could price them some what competitive was to assemble them here thus beating the taxes.

·
Registered
37,855 Posts
ML are also more primitive, than other models.
They have all the control lights, while my 99 E-classe has LCD display to warn you about problems with alarm sound when it comes on. Much more efficient, that easy to overlook lights.
Than the ML pricing is really competitive. New models sells now for $43 k.
Not much quality competition for this price. Than my neighbor is driving KIA Santa Fee and she loves it.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
ML in Europe are very rare. I see more of them in my village in one day, than I've seen in 5 weeks traveling 8000 miles in Europe.
Kajtek, the reason for not seeing lots of MLs on roads of Europe is that True European ML Owners don't drive their cars the highways, but green lanes and off roads :D pls look both sides during your next visit ;)

·
Registered
' 02 ML500
127 Posts
CAHEK said:
Well, what of it? They have always shipped made-in-Germany cars all over the world! I agree with the prior poster who said that MB knew that they had a guaranteed market for these SUV's in the USA. Despite the bleating of the tree huggers SUV's are still the fastest selling market segment. Why else would Porsche (of all makes!) enter the SUV market? Hell, American marques that NEVER made a real truck in their histories offer some wanna-be SUV (usually only skin deep!).

·
Registered
2000 ML320
355 Posts
The ML was carefully designed specifically for North American markets.

SUV's aren't nearly as common elsewhere as in the US. You see a lot more wagons than SUV's in the EU.

In South America, SUV owners with coin seem to be driving Land Cruisers and G's although I have seen ML's.

BTW, you will see more people driving crappy 80's American gas guzzlers in Venezeula than in Peurto Rico. Go figure.

·
Registered
2000 W163 ML430 1997 E39 BMW 528i
277 Posts
WHERE ARE ML's MANUFACTUTRED

Ok guys, Here's the skinny:

The first didgit of the VIN Number tells you where the vehicle is manufactred or assembled...

VIN STARTING WITH:

1-USA
2-CANADA
3-MEXICO
4-USA
5-AUTRALIA
9-BRAZIL
J-JAPAN
W-GERMANY
S-ENGLAND
Y-SWEDEN
Z-ITALY

On ebay, I have seen an ML 320 with a 'W' on the VIN which is being sold in Australia. I could just picture folks now looking at the first letter of their VIN!!!:confused:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.