Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a broken piece, the common one which is addressed here, but I cannot figure out if there is a way to get the window up. I've been trying to 'help' the window up, from the inside, the door panel is off, and it goes up about half an inch, and that's it. The motor is fine, I merely rolled it down to get some hot air out, and now I'm cursed with a permanent 18" x 22" vent.

The air decided to go on strike, it was the climate control system flaking out, immediately after this happened, but it's back to working, so at least I have A/C if I can get the window up.

What part number do I be needin' when I go to the dealer, tomorrow, to get a replacement? Based on what I fished out of the door, it used to look like this PN:1267200142, but there isn't much left.

I've felt around in there for an arm, or something, which goes in this plastic slider, but I can't find anything. Is the only good option taking the other door apart, the working one, and seeing how it's supposed to look?

Thanks!

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
The plastic guide attaches to the end of the arm and rides in the bottom of the window track. If the arm isn't attached to the window anymore you should be able to slide the window up by hand. Just went through a similar exercise. Took the window regulator out, replaced the plastic piece and reinstalled it all. If you need some pics send me your email address and I'll try to take some of the regulators I took out of the SEC, they should look similar enough to show you what is going on.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, that's what I figured, but the window won't budge, using only arm/screwdriver leverage, careful screwdriver leverage, yet there isn't anything in the bottom sliding area, where the plastic piece used to be. This said, I had my wife work the power window switch while I had my head in the door as much as it could be, and the window tries to move, but it doens't do much before it hits a limiting item of some sort.

I'll look at it more when it gets cooler...it's still 97F and sunny out. Just in case, I'm moving everything of value to the very lockable trunk and planning a call/trip to the dealer in Round Rock. If nothing else, I'll get to swing by the Smart dealer and take a gander...then laugh, uncontrollably.

EDIT: I figured out why the window would not go up. The lever on the motor, the metal 'finger' which should be in the plastic part which slides in the bottom rail, the part which acutally moves the window up and down, was all the way up, and because it was at the top of its travel, it was in a position to block the window from moving upward. Pulling this piece toward the inside of the door, and pushing the window up, has it all in better shape for the night. I hope I can find a way to force the window to stay shut, but we'll see.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC Cabernet Red-Palomino-18" AMG Monoblock Staggered-Eibach lowered-Remus-Tri-Y's
149 Posts
I cut a piece of pvc pipe to hold my former SEL rear window up until a chance to replace the slider. Many moons ago while touring the USA in a VW Bug a window exchanger broke after testing all the wines in Napa Valley so a convenient pickett fence provided a quick fix and getaway. The hangover was no worse for the quilt. Surfers in Carmel cured that with some Coors.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've found, if you have a helper to work the window switch, which one could probably do if you're lucky, solo, if you put the window all the way up, then push the switch 'down' for a split-second, the locating pin will pop into the slide area. If you then, while still holding the window in the door, from the bottom, push the window switch up, then everything will wedge itself in place. At least mine seems to have, though, for the window parts run to the dealer, today, I'm borrowing my wife's ride.... No need to tempt fate at this point.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woo-Hoo!!

I found the Austin, TX, dealer sells parts for about half of retail, so I bought two of the jaw-slider things. After tax, under $12.

Though, I've learned I should remove the regulator to put it in. I'm currently drill-less, so I can't drill a hole and use a bolt to attach it. The service guys were even helpful, saying it's good to back up the metal with an 8mm socket to protect the plastic.

This is so different from the Vegas dealer, I am having a difficult time I'm on the same planet.

Oh, wait, I'm in Texas. That is a different planet than southern NV. A much friendlier planet, with better looking women, and fewer drunkards running around. ;-)

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I was lucky when my left rear window failed. I was able to grab my window from both sides of the glass to get it up. Then good old clear packing tape held that window in place until I could get to MR MB Motors in Tarzanna (a shameless plug for the best Indy in Southern Ca.) He fixed it in about 10 minute and just charged me for the plastic part!. Fastest door panel removal, window fix I have seen or been part of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts