Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 e320 cdi, 2006 ml350, 2008 ml320 cdi
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey the service guy at my dealer said to replace my fuel filter at 20,000 miles on my ml320 cdi, i was wondering if this is ok, if i should let them do it or if i could do it myself? I really am not sure need some advice :D

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
My manual indicates:

Diesel: 25,000 mi or 2 yrs
Gas: 155,000 mi or 15 yrs.

I would go to the dealer, since you will probably void your warranty if you go elsewhere.

Just my 2 ¢

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey the service guy at my dealer said to replace my fuel filter at 20,000 miles on my ml320 cdi, i was wondering if this is ok, if i should let them do it or if i could do it myself? I really am not sure need some advice :D
MB sched is every 20k miles(30000kms) to do the fuel filter on a diesel.I had a look at mine and thought about changing it myself but soon decided it was best left to the dealer. The air cleaner boxes etc need to be partially removed and its not as simple as it seems as the cleaner boxes need a bit of ''technique'' and not everyone has the tools to do the filter and so when I had my fuel filter done I get my air cleaner elements done every second fuel filter and they give me a break on the labor as a lot of it needs to be apart to replace the fuel filter anyway.One last thing, clean fuel is the lifeblood of a diesel and the filters on a diesel also trap water.Its one of the most important maintenance items to look after on your ML CDI as a set of injectors runs into the thousands of dollars, not to mention the injection pump itself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MB sched is every 20k miles(30000kms) to do the fuel filter on a diesel.I had a look at mine and thought about changing it myself but soon decided it was best left to the dealer. The air cleaner boxes etc need to be partially removed and its not as simple as it seems as the cleaner boxes need a bit of ''technique'' and not everyone has the tools to do the filter and so when I had my fuel filter done I get my air cleaner elements done every second fuel filter and they give me a break on the labor as a lot of it needs to be apart to replace the fuel filter anyway.One last thing, clean fuel is the lifeblood of a diesel and the filters on a diesel also trap water.Its one of the most important maintenance items to look after on your ML CDI as a set of injectors runs into the thousands of dollars, not to mention the injection pump itself.
So just do it every 20,000 miles and just let them handle it? lol. Any idea around the price range?

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Order some Click pliers from Samstag sales, get a bag of clamps from the dealer, and replace the filters yourself.

Nothing magical about it. Remove the engine cover and out it comes. on the ML remove the cover and disconnect the turbo inlet. (don't stuff rags in there...cause you know you will forget them).

Install new clamps and press on for another 20K.

Purging a CDI/Bluetec filter is easy since you have an in-tank pump to pressure feed the engine. This will self purge with a few activations of the ignition. You can hear the pump turn on and shut off. Cycle 5-10 times and start.

The gasser, well thats a PITA, replace the entire fuel pump/filter assembly every 65K. Gasoline pumps due to wear and the pressure they make wear out quickly. The internal plastic rollers are the key wear item that really needs the replacement, not so much the filter portion.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any way someone can post a dyi with pics/maybe a video on how to do this? Or lead me in the right direction on where to find it, tried google but ya, for a noob like me not much help. lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts