Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350, 6 MT
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order the SLK for 2006 model year.
Do you negotiate the price when you put down the deposit to order the car or when you are actually taking delivery?

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
I got a 15% discount off the invoice for a car he had in stock (Tellurite Silver with red leather), you pay full retail if you order a car. This was my own individual experience [:D]

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
probably better to negotiate before ordering. that makes it seem like you might not order unless they give you a good deal.

trying to negotiate at delivery time will probably generate ill will on someone's part, since you will have made a deal and seem to be reneging on it.

i wouldn't expect much discount, especially on a 2006, but i'm sure it varies by location and dealer.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
BAZMAN - 4/20/2005 2:00 AM

I got a 15% discount off the invoice for a car he had in stock (Tellurite Silver with red leather), you pay full retail if you order a car. This was my own individual experience [:D]
15% off of invoice? I am assuming you mean MSRP. Even that is very good. Why did they do it? It's this the dealer you had all the issues with your car/them?

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Hi Skylander.

Here's my experience with ordering:

Couldn't get any discount from MB dealer locally. Take it (with the options already on the car) or leave it. It may be difficult to negotiate any kind of discount in CA, now that summer weather is here.

Ordered an SLK 350 AMG with just the options I wanted through Autoland discount buyer service (Autoland.com). Their price was $53,887 vs. dealer price of $55,090 (+ tax). Autoland couldn't find any dealer (nationwide) that actually had those options (and nothing else), so I ordered (through Autoland) direct from the factory. After the car was on the ship, Autoland found that Rusnak, Arcadia had a similar car and the dealer would sell it to me (through Autoland) for $55,430. Bottom line was that on top of my original options, I actually got $3,750 worth of additional options for an extra outlay of only $1,543, which included the wood trim, comfort package, lighting package, and heating package. (The extra $1,543 was on top of Autoland's price - not the dealer's price.) It was too good a deal to miss.

Anyway, it appears that MB sales are actually lagging badly at the moment, and that if you want to make a deal, it is best to do it at the end of the month, when they need to boost their sales numbers before the 30th or 31st of the month.

BTW. I paid Autoland a (returnable) deposit check for $1,250 when I ordered from the factory - which they didn't even cash. Also, as I paid cash for the car, I simply gave Rusnak a check for the full amount, and drove off into the sunset. They didn't want any kind of surity; a plain 'ole check was good enough for them!

I really do recommend Autoland if you have problems getting a discount on MSRP from the dealer. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call anyway. Ask for Ludmilla (1-800- 334-5335 Ext 5223 and mention my name. (This is the third car I've bought through them. They even had my last car delivered to my door [in Palm Springs] from the dealer in Riverside)

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
10 Posts
Personally, Slylander, I had no intention of placing a custom order until I knew how much it would cost when it landed. As it turns out, when I placed the order they still didn't have '06 final MSRP pricing, but at least they knew it would go up by ~$1000 or so from '05. The options pricing you posted recently (thank you!) will make this a easier to calculate as well.

What I did was go through Cars.com and get competitive quotes from the three dealers in my area (well, two of them anyway -- I'll post my ridiculous experience with Fletcher Jones in another thread after my purchase is complete), and wound up with quotes that were a few hundred over dealer invoice from two of them. I have placed an order for the exact same config from both dealers, to make sure that I can keep them honest when it hits the lot (thanks, MB for fully-refundable order deposits!). Now, barring both dealers combining forces to screw me out of something closer to MSRP (unlikely, but possible), I should be reasonably assured of a good deal when it comes time to purchase.

Time will tell, as my car(s) will not arrive until at least July some time, if I am lucky.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
cluehammer - 6/3/2005 1:51 AM

Personally, Slylander, I had no intention of placing a custom order until I knew how much it would cost when it landed. As it turns out, when I placed the order they still didn't have '06 final MSRP pricing, but at least they knew it would go up by ~$1000 or so from '05. The options pricing you posted recently (thank you!) will make this a easier to calculate as well.
What I did was to ask for a certain amount off MSRP, b/c the dealer didn't know the exact price for the '06 models. My dealer gave me $1000 off for an ordered SLK and have this in writing. I decided on ED instead.

From my experience the best discounts are cars on the lot with limited options. No airscarf, no NAV, etc. I've seen a $50,000 SLK sell for $46,000.

(thanks, MB for fully-refundable order deposits!).
You might want to check on that, my order sheet says non-refundable in very small print.

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
10 Posts
Ynot - 6/3/2005 10:09 AM
What I did was to ask for a certain amount off MSRP, b/c the dealer didn't know the exact price for the '06 models. My dealer gave me $1000 off for an ordered SLK and have this in writing. I decided on ED instead.
MSRP as I had configured for an '05 model was about $54,900. Invoice is roughly 7% discount from MSRP (in estimating invoice cost for the '06 changes, I saw the dealer multiply expected MSRP by 0.93), making it around $51K. Considering that there is still a roughly 3% of MSRP holdback refunded to the dealer after final sale, they still make a ~$1600 profit plus whatever I gave them over invoice. I wasn't about to push my luck and try negotiating for an under-invoice price, considering all the MSRP deals being made on the lot queens.

You made a pretty good choice with the Euro Delivery option, as I understand that they give a 7% off MSRP price for the car - equivalent to initial dealer invoice! I actually wish I had done Euro Delivery on mine - I hadn't realized the SLK was eligible for it. Oh well, there's always next time.
From my experience the best discounts are cars on the lot with limited options. No airscarf, no NAV, etc. I've seen a $50,000 SLK sell for $46,000.
I was rather surprised that the dealers offered such low prices on a custom order, but they explained to me that it is much easier to sell a car at MSRP if it's sitting on the lot, as there is no waiting period (instant gratification and all that). Already having a 2001 SLK320, I wanted to make sure that I was going to receive the exact config I wanted, rather than settle for something on the lot that came "close", so I approached them from the get-go knowing it was going to be a custom order. I think making it known that they were competing against other dealerships was probably what got me the low price quotes. I will never walk into a dealership without pricing negotiated ahead of time again!

(thanks, MB for fully-refundable order deposits!).
You might want to check on that, my order sheet says non-refundable in very small print.
Thank you, Ynot, I forgot that this is not a MB-controlled policy - it is set by each dealership. According to my paperwork, one dealership explicitly states that it is refunded if I don't make the purchase, while the other is more vague, but I had verified this up front before placing the deposit.

·
Registered
SLK 350, 6 MT
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot of all your help, just found out my car is built and at the port/ready to be shipped. Since the options I want hardly come with manual, I am forced to place a custom order. Euro Divy with 7% off MSRP wasn't available until late April

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1207369&posts=1&hl=european+delivery

I didn't pre-negotiate the price (ouch!) when I put down my deposit. I guess I have a tough battle ahead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts