Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30k mi 50k mi or 60k mi I Always pump 93 octane but how do you really know when it's time to change....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, I see ..but how do you know if the Filter is Dirty.. no way of telling huh
thanks-

·
Registered
'00 S430
269 Posts
I have had a couple of cars over the years that had a see through plastic filter in the engine bay and you could readily tell. The MB filter is metal, even if it were clear it is tucked away along the right rear frame in the rear seat region.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks !!!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2000 S 430, 2003 ML270 CDI
291 Posts
Do not go past 60k with the filter change

Of course there's a way to check if the filter is dirty. Just open it...:D :D :D
This filter had about 70k miles in it and the filter element was covered with dark grey gooey. Not blocking the fuel flow but still the filter was past due change.

Attachments

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Hmmm Nice info thanks.. I just did my 60K service and omitted the fuel filter. Guess what I am doing today??

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
If you just follow a routine maintenance schedule--A & B Service--your dealer will know when and what to do, and you will not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Wow the dealer charges $120 bucks for a fuel filter!!!!
I priced a purolator filter for $39 bucks at the Parts store.

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
My04230k said:
Wow the dealer charges $120 bucks for a fuel filter!!!!
I priced a purolator filter for $39 bucks at the Parts store.
$120? Did your dealer tell you that? If you have your car serviced according to the MB FSS, I believe they routinely change the fuel filter at the 60k mile B Service, but I have no way of teasing the cost of that one small item out of the overall cost. Also, I would never put a Purolator anything in my MB!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldnt use a purolator either, the MB fuel filter has the fuel pressure regulator built into it, that is why there are four hoses instead of two. I want to say the oe replacement was a knect (sp?) and it was only about $35. You also need four new clamps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
um ya... I'm going to go ahead and have my gas filter changed... Good Point you can't put a price on a VERY important item like your Fuel Filter .....
Thanks Everyone ! I love this Forum...

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2000 S 430, 2003 ML270 CDI
291 Posts
Jayhawk said:
If you just follow a routine maintenance schedule--A & B Service--your dealer will know when and what to do, and you will not have to worry about it.
This unfortunately seems not always be the case. My car had 70,000+ miles on it when I got it and it had been serviced by authorized dealers. But the fuel filter had never been changed:mad: . How do I know? Easily, the clamps on the fuel lines were originals.

(Of course it might also be so that the previous owner had declined the change. But whatever the reason, better check yourself whether the filter has been changed or not.)

Only three clamps needed, the fourth breather line (smallest) going to evap canister
does not need a hose clamp.

Use clamps with flared edges only, they are friendlier to the rubber hoses.

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
finntexan said:
This unfortunately seems not always be the case. My car had 70,000+ miles on it when I got it and it had been serviced by authorized dealers. But the fuel filter had never been changed:mad: . How do I know? Easily, the clamps on the fuel lines were originals.

(Of course it might also be so that the previous owner had declined the change. But whatever the reason, better check yourself whether the filter has been changed or not.)

Only three clamps needed, the fourth breather line (smallest) going to evap canister
does not need a hose clamp.

Use clamps with flared edges only, they are friendlier to the rubber hoses.
I'll ask at the next service...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts