Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1998 S280
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to automatic gears! Is "park" on the gear selector as good as the parking brake? I know you guys in the USA hardly ever use the brake, but will it damage anything with constant use?

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
It wont damage anything persay, but its good to use it on hills at least. I use the parkin...

It wont damage anything persay, but its good to use it on hills at least. I use the parking brake all the time, to keep it from breaking from non-use, and also I set the parking brake before I put the gearbox into park, so that the load of the car is on the brake first, instead of the transmission. Also with the automatic, you do want to have it slowly roll onto the park stop at times, so that the pin in the transmission doesn't break from it never being used. You can use just the transmission as the brake on flat surfaces. Thats what I do.

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
I'm new to automatic gears! Is "park" on the gear selector as good as the parking brake? I know you guys in the USA hardly ever use the brake, but will it damage anything with constant use?
you cant withdraw the ignition key unless you are in park.

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: Noise

The parking brake really THUMPS when I release it with the pull-out handle too. Is it supposed to be that noisy?
You are confusing me here. [8)]

Are you talking about "p" parking gear? OR are you talking about the parking "brake" thats on left of the drivers side?

The parking brake thumps out loud. I keep my foot on it while releasing it. I use it on many occasions here in the usa. Especially while parking on hills etc.

[^]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.