Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to the person who will be doing the machine work on my M103 head. I had a bit of difficulty understanding exactly what set-up he wanted for shipping. I asked again and still am uncertain. Hopefully you guys can help. He wants the valve spring springs to not be compressed. Can I do this by loosening the 4 bolts on that secure each pair of valves? Is this standard procedure when sending the head of to be worked on. Should I just remove the entire assembly on top? If any of you have done this, please let me know.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The only time I had heads shipped to me, they were aluminum heads without valve springs, valves, etc. So I wouldn't know.

Just to be safe, though, I'd get a spring compressor, take off the springs and valves, etc, and ship them secured in separate packaging. You might want to number the valves/springs (each in its own glad bag), so you know which cylinder they came from. Its not a difficult job, and you can borrow a valve spring compressor if you dont' want to buy one. Although not sure why he would want them uncompressed other than for maybe safety issue or they might get bent in shipping.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The only time I had heads shipped to me, they were aluminum heads without valve springs, valves, etc. So I wouldn't know.

Just to be safe, though, I'd get a spring compressor, take off the springs and valves, etc, and ship them secured in separate packaging. You might want to number the valves/springs (each in its own glad bag), so you know which cylinder they came from. Its not a difficult job, and you can borrow a valve spring compressor if you dont' want to buy one. Although not sure why he would want them uncompressed other than for maybe safety issue or they might get bent in shipping.

Yes, now that i think it over again, the valves that are compressed will be sticking out from the cylinder head, and that will mean they can be damage if something hits them.

In this case you can also package the head very carefully in lots of bubble wrap...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts