Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1980 450SL named Freya. 202,000mi
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as it happens there is this 1977 450SLC over at the local "pick your part".

And as it happens it had a pristine parchment interior. As it happens my 450SL is palomino, but I have longed for the lighter white parchment.

It also happens that my passenger door is dented and the window regulator is totally shot, plus the glass has wear on it (possibly where an antenna was set).

and the door had already been removed, so I could grab it and go (with fingers crossed that the window works - and I understand it needs an adjustment to set correctly in the SL, but anyway).

The door panels were both great, so I took the drivers door panel as well. I spotted this on Saturday, and sadly someone already removed the drivers door panel and set it aside when they were getting the drivers side motor. Unfortunately they did a ham fisted job of removing the panel, damaging it somewhat, but the vinyl is just fine, and the panel and map pocket are in far better condition than my current 450SL.

BONUS: While the entire dash board, glove box and kick panels were removed, today I discovered a xmas bonus - the pristine drivers and passenger's under dash panels are intact and "hidden" in the back of a buick across from the 450SL. SCORE! The few other carpet pieces weren't in all that great of shape, so I left them (I'll sleep on if they are worth gathering up).

Here I am fitting the passenger door into the passenger seat of my car, with the driver's panel to the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An SLC will hold five eight foot long two by fours...

I had never actually been in one before - roomier than I thought it'd be (of course many items removed, like the dash, LOL).

It must have been low miles, as it was in surprisingly good condition, but very little was left by the time I got there, picked over by the vultures of sad and dejected cars:

As you can see the rear lights are gone, though I happened to find the left one "hidden" in a near by circa 1970 Buick (hidden in the back with some pristine trim panels LOL).

And as you can see, not much else left.

Dash and instruments, glove box all gone. As I said the LOWER dash time panels (thick I very much need do to multiple monkey destroying mine) were found in the back of a buick. I looked through some other older unwanted cars and didn't find any more SL treasures, LOL.

You know, it seems to me that getting a decent SLC and doing a chop & mod to full convertible would be a fun project car. If only I had the time and space (and free cash LOL).

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Friends don't let friends chop SLCs or weld tops to SLs.
Welding a top to an SL Is asinine.

Chopping an SLC into a convertible: giving it freedom and a new, richer life.

Can't you feel for that poor M117 engine? It started life thinking "oh! I'm gonna be in an SL!" ... But then fate's cruel hand destined it for an SLC. That poor, poor M117 engine was sad, dejected... Knowing it would never be driven like an SL.
:crying
CHOPPING an SLC is giving that M117 a chance to fly!

·
Registered
Monika '74 450SL and her lil sis BrownHilda '79 280SL
2,008 Posts
Just ask Fonzi - LOL

I would love a 4 seat 107 convertible. His car rocks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts