Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’ve been dealing with this problem for a while now, whenever I try to accelerate on the highway, it just sputters and becomes very difficult to drive unless I pull over and turn the car off and back on, I have to do this several times then the problem disappears after driving it for a while. I cleaned the MAF sensors and reset throttle and fss

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Sport
142 Posts
Coil packs and spark plug wires, spark plugs may need to be replaced also injectors could be dirty with high millage on your car. Maybe try different gas. Fuel pump or filter too could be something I would check. I had a friend with an old car and the fuel filter was very dirty and the car would not go at highway speed because the engine could not get enough gas.

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
238 Posts
Hello all, I’ve been dealing with this problem for a while now, whenever I try to accelerate on the highway, it just sputters and becomes very difficult to drive unless I pull over and turn the car off and back on, I have to do this several times then the problem disappears after driving it for a while. I cleaned the MAF sensors and reset throttle and fss
First thing I'd do is check what fault codes have been logged. I use an old Chinese Carsoft copy on a 38 pin connector for this but you might be able to use a reader that's more available these days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coil packs and spark plug wires, spark plugs may need to be replaced also injectors could be dirty with high millage on your car. Maybe try different gas. Fuel pump or filter too could be something I would check. I had a friend with an old car and the fuel filter was very dirty and the car would not go at highway speed because the engine could not get enough gas.
I will be replacing ignition coils, spark plugs, throttle position sensor, fuel filter, and fuel injectors and go from there.

·
Registered
E63AMG, SLK32AMG, Ferrari 348 Spider, R350 Bluetec, Eagle Talon TSI/AWD, Jeep CJ7, Smart EV
317 Posts
I had this problem with my 32AMG. Charge air cooler was leaking coolant into the intake and eventually clogged everything up. I was also losing coolant inexplicably (nothing on ground, or on engine). Turns out it was being burned.

My symptoms also included misfire light, big belch of white smoke and general uneasy idle.

Don't replace all the wires; just buy the one you need (if any). Just get a carsoft scanner (amazon) and read the cylinder values in real time. I found a misfire/bad wire easy. You can find ignition pack errors, spark plug and wire faults easily.

The carsoft scanner has already saved me thousands just being able to read MB codes. I have 4 Benzes and a Smart car and it can read them all!

J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts