Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife called today and said here check oil light came on yesterday. Car has only 1200 miles on it!!!! I checked after reading some posts on here regarding oil consumption. I was concerned because the car will let of a oil cloud smoke upon start up that is worse then my highly moded out cummins turbo diesel. And I am not kidding. I think I will start them both up at the same time this weekend and do a cloud of smoke comparison picture. The SLK will be worse!!!! The dealer had told be the car has no dip stick at the time of sale- wrong. At 700 miles the dip stick check showed down slightly but not enough to worry about adding anything. I am starting to get a little PO at this point. I never addded a drop of oil to any of the dozen or more new vehicles I have purchased including my Z06 which is driven vary hard. To pay this kinda of money and now I have to monitor the oil and play this game for my wife. I am not impressed. I heard MB has had a parts problem in 25% of these cars can be oil burners. Not a happy camper today. I will let everyone know how much oil I have to add today to top it off. Have to track down the oil first. Think I should buy a case from what it looks like now. Where is the extra oil carrier on this car. You go on a long trip I will need more space for oil then luggage.
DISGUST.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
1300 miles and still no oil light but a manual check shows it down quite a bit.

The good news is that my local Mobil gas/food mart carries the Mobil 1 Synthetic for European cars. $6.00/quart and I am sure it is much cheaper by the case but I am hoping after this initial break-in period I won't have to add any more. Maybe wishful thinking.

At about 2500 miles I am taking the car in for its free 1000-3000 mile checkup and I am going to have the oil filter and oil changed at that time (at my expense) just because I will feel better getting all the contaminants out of it from the break-in period.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
I just hit 11,000 miles today with no engine oil issues...everything is fine (except my stone damaged windshield that will be replaced next week[B)])...[:eek:)]

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Hey XJagman

My check oil malfunction hit right after my courtesy maintenance at 2500 miles. Unfortunately, my low oil situation has evolved into a complete engine replacement due to engine damage. Check my posts "Oil Leak Heads Up" I was hoping the low oil issue was isolated to just my vehicle. Looks like it is more widespread. This is my very first Mercedes. I am sad to say my 3 previous Mazda's had an outstanding track record compared to my 4 month old SLK. I have never had to replace oil in any of my previous vehicles, never mind having to replace the engine. My battle begins next week when the GM returns to the dealership. Good Luck to you Sir.

bobbyM

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
At 1824 miles the light came on. At 1844 miles it took 1 quart at the dealer. At 2437 it still reads full. We'll see whether or not this becomes a classy action suit in the next 2-3000 miles.

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
Light came on at 2500 miles. Checked oil weekly after that. At 5100 miles, noticed oil was below dip stick low mark and dealer shrugged it off as 'regular oil consumption' and topped it off again. Checked today at 5400 and oil was near low again. Mine is a thirsty one it seems...

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
20 Posts
Update to my 2005 350SLK with only 3,200 miles. Today I received a phone call from my local dealership as I suspected after MBZ made an oil consumption analysis they also confirmed the engine needs to be replaced just as member 05SLKMadMax had been told. This forum is awesome and has been a great help. I will not keep this car after reading all the members with similar problems. I wonder if the new ML350 with the same engine will have oil consumption problems as I and many members have had "Come on 4 quarts with only 3,200 miles" this is a serious problem....

Good Luck….

1 - 8 of 8 Posts